Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: killer ducks...  (Read 3938 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
killer ducks...
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »
o/h came in today saying "bring a bag, or a box. Your drake is a murderer!"

I thought he meant that the drake had drowned one of his girls, randy little devils that they are.

put my wellies on and went out with a black bag to find ....

... an enormous bloated rat floating in the duck pond! (bath)

its at least the second time we've found a dead rat in their bath - o/h says he saw the drake actually holding this one down under the water!

so they've all  had extra corn as a treat, well done boy, that's another b**ger gone!  :thumbsup:
Little Blue

robert waddell

Re: killer ducks...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »
must be some drake to hold a rat down to drown they have some strength when there life is expiring :farmer:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:04:50 am »
oooh I was thinking of getting cats to help around the farm maybe I'm wrong and should get ducks instead ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:31:27 am »
Can I borrow him  ::) - my Jack just stands there and watches them run in steal their food, then run up the tree.  I don't think my girls notice.  How did he get the rat into the water? 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:43:56 am »
oh, I was worried when I started to read this post - we had a pond casualty in the summer (sadly not a rat!), suspecting the tandem of boys. I was so cross, one is now spending the rest of his life in an enclosure with monkeys, he was lucky I did not murder him but the punishment is greater this way  ;D ;D :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
I know what you mean NFD, I constantly worry about one of our girls being drowned by her over-amorous fella... she waits til after they've been in the pond (bath!) befor she'll go in.
  I didn't know you had monkeys?!

We have 4 cats, they are good ratters too.  the bloomin' rats have a run I think under the ducks' bath where it can drain. Found that they've chewed a hole in the chicken shed wall, in a really awkward place. Hope that was the rat the duck caught!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »

I didn't know you had monkeys?!

;D ;D ;D we don't, a nearby animal park does  ;D :&>

if there is so much evidence of the buggers now, what will it be like in the winter for you???  :o

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:12:29 pm »
I wonder if his offspring will inherit the killer trait?  ;D that would be an interesting marketing ploy for the eggs

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
if there is so much evidence of the buggers now, what will it be like in the winter for you???  :o

we're kind of used to it - the bloomin' cats will bring rats, mice and shrews home from the factory & mill behind us, if they don't catch them at home!!
  we have traps, poisons, and big sticks as well as the cats & ducks... and sometimes borrow next doors' JRT!
Little Blue

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »
Oooh. There are two dead mice in our little pond, I wonder.....?!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »
:D    :D
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS