Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another Easy fruit cake recipe  (Read 7116 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Another Easy fruit cake recipe
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »
A Half Pound Fruit Cake...

8oz each of Butter, Plain Flour, Caster sugar (I use the Golden Caster - gives an added 'caramelly' flavour -
8oz Raisins, Currants, Sultanas
4oz of Glace Cherries (halved)
4 Eggs beaten
1/2 teaspn of mixed spice and Salt (though I leave the salt out doesn't seem to alter the flavour or texture)
4 tablespoons of Brandy :thumbsup:

Cream fat and sugar until light and fluffy - add eggs a little at a time, beating well each time ( I do add a little of the flour to stop the eggs from curdling the mixture - good cooks can do it with out curdling ;D)

Fold in flour, spice and fruits.  Add the Brandy or Whisky or Scotch or any Liqueur (Contreu was delicious - using up a bit in the bottom of the bottle...)

Should be soft dropping consistency.

Spoon into greased and lined 8" tin - level off the surface - you can put on Walnut halves, I sprinkle with a teaspn of Demerara Sugar.  Cook at 150c 300F Gas mark 2 for 2-1/2hrs approx or until skewer comes out clean.  Put a bit of foil over the cake top for the last 1hr of cooking. For fan oven cook at 140c.

I do it all in the Kenwood includes folding in the flour and fruit as my hands can't cope with the beating/amount of weight to be folded  by hand any more.

Leave to cool and best left until the next day - if you can resist from eating it.  ENJOY  :yum: :yum:

You are never to old to learn something new

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Another Easy fruit cake recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:06:41 pm »
Mmmm, think we've got all that, and have just finished the last of the shortbread, so will have to give this a go. The brandy removed any doubt.  :D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:47 am »
I have a very simple farmhouse fruit cake recipe as well that I must make twice a week as we just love it with coffee. I will dig it out this evening and pop it on here. It takes minutes to make in the kenwood and about an hour to cook but the difficult part is waiting for it to cool.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have enough of anything to make this cake right now  :( :(
However I will be out 'in civilisation' on Weds so will make a list  ;D ;D
I LOVE fruit cake  ;D ;D

And also Ellisr if you can post your recipe as well before Weds I can get those ingredients too  ;D ;D

Tish  :thumbsup:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
I can give you the ingredients I just can't remember the amounts

SR Flour
Egg
Marg
mixed spice
mixed fruit
milk

Amounts to follow when I get home

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »
I had nearly forgot about the amounts sorry

8oz SR Flour
4oz butter/marg
4oz sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
splosh of milk
6oz dried mixed fruit

pop in a tin (I use liners in mine) and bake approx 180 for 50mins

I mix everything in the kenwood popping the fruit in last so it does smush up. I always double the amounts and make 2 at a time as 1 is never enough

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS