Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The price of 4 prong muck forks...  (Read 5364 times)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
The price of 4 prong muck forks...
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:14 am »
My poor old muck fork handle gave up the ghost last week at work, so the boss goes to his local ag supplies store to get a new fork....and came back without one! He announced they wanted £38 for a new one!
So I brought the broken one back to a chap I know in the village to put a new handle in it, costing £19.50! Meanwhile, I looked in our local countrystore, and their 4 prong forks were £58! what are they - gold plated?
I thought they were cheaper than that - time to visit a few farm sales I reckon!  :farmer:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

robert waddell

Re: The price of 4 prong muck forks...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:36:56 pm »
shovel makers were once as common as brick factory's  not any longer
have you ever seen the time that goes into making a shovel or fork and if it costs £20 to reshaft then a new one is not that bad :farmer:

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:28 am »
Really?! I sell a quality ash handled 4 prong fork for just under £25 and I thought that was a tad dear!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
Don't know about you, but I get quite attached to my muck forks mainly cos they're around for such a long time and in use every day.....Sad innit  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
NEVER buy a tool of any sort with a  "T" handle as they always catch in your pockets and rip them off.

This knowledge should be passed on from father to son down the generations,  and could account for the fact that only women buy "T" handles. ( Oh god, now I'm in trouble again )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »
NEVER buy a tool of any sort with a  "T" handle as they always catch in your pockets and rip them off.

This knowledge should be passed on from father to son down the generations,  and could account for the fact that only women buy "T" handles. ( Oh god, now I'm in trouble again )

Made me laugh on two counts.  The second being the juxtaposition of this text and the picture of your beautiful Castlemilk Moorit tup's wonderful set of horns... I lost pretty much every pocket I had when I farmed Swaledale sheep!  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »
T handles have never ripped my pockets off, oh yes and I'm a women, maybe it means that women are more cafeful in their handling of T handled tools  ;D

Is this better http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFVUTO/ref=asc_df_B000LFVUTO5743700?smid=A3CSECX6MDU716&tag=shoppingmp11226-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000LFVUTO  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:25:03 pm by Daisy »

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »
My garden & muck fork are the same item it is a standard long shafted hay fork with the tines reheated and bent to make the classical rectangular shape of a ladies border fork tines and then it's had another set of tines  made from one piece of carbon steel  mig welded  inside the two outer tines to give me a long handled four tined fork . I've had it for 29 years ( 30 years next April ) and its moved literally hundreds of tonnes of stuff as well as diging over the over wintered gardens in spring.
 The fork was made for me gratis by Buldog Tools to help me cope with the damaged left shoulder injury I have.

It became a godsend 13 yrs later on when I sustained the back wrecking injury that also prevents me bending

I recall one day a big hefty guy laughing at me & my fork whilst i was loading a transit tipper with well rotted horse muck.
 He was rather surprised to see I'd loaded the truck up high in the same time it took him to level load a small 9 x 6 Ifor Wiliams type low side walled trailer .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:57:10 am »
those forks and spades are also dear hear in Canada  so i always check the country flee markets for used ones and still say ouch but still cheaper than new handle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS