Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mice??  (Read 10657 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
mice??
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:51:11 am »
must be mice in the greenhouse although I can not find any other evidence (no pooh) than that 3 peas I have put in pots on the table in the greenhouse yesterday as they had started to sprout nicely in the pods - and this morning they were gone!  :o  :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: mice??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
Little devils  :o  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:41:38 am »
must be mice in the greenhouse although I can not find any other evidence (no pooh) than that 3 peas I have put in pots on the table in the greenhouse yesterday as they had started to sprout nicely in the pods - and this morning they were gone!  :o  :&>
icing sugar and plaster of paris mixed, fixes mice right up in the greenhouse :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:43 am »
nice to see you back, Blonde.
How do you mix it? Recipe, please!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:46:44 am »
nice to see you back, Blonde.
How do you mix it? Recipe, please!
tablespoon of plaster of paris and equal parts icing sugar in a powder.  Put in a corner that is popular with mice.  It is sweet, mice will consume and it will set in their tummies ......no  more mice. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:16:49 pm »
That's horrible  :( 

A trap baited with cheese or chocolate is quick and painless.  We caught 15 over one week with traps.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
no , not a nice death, but commercial poison's no better...will have a look if I find the traps ... :&>

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 12:49:34 pm »

A trap baited with cheese or chocolate is quick and painless.  We caught 15 over one week with traps.
And having their heads decapitated while enjoying the fruits  of pleasure that you offer is not any different.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »

And having their heads decapitated while enjoying the fruits  of pleasure that you offer is not any different.

Well on this one I think I'd prefer a swift decapitation to a more lingering death by turning my stomach to stone.

I have always found mouse traps (the Nipper type) very easy to use and very effective too.  We use peanut butter as bait - it's good and sticky, so they will definitely need to get on the plinth properly to get it.  Since switching to this I have never had any empty sprung traps nor any mice caught by the leg or tail, they've all been well and truly snapped and killed outright in an instant.

It's key to position the trap somewhere they'll like to be - either on a run they already use, preferably against a wall or even better in a channel, or in an inviting-looking crevice, corner or nook.  In the latter case, where you are wanting them to go somewhere they don't usually go, you may have to be patient for a few nights before they decide to have a lick at it.

All of which, for me, works for mice.

Rats, however - now that's a whole different ball game.  I don't have a solution that I am happy with for these fellas.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:54 pm »
Traps work well for me too, or at least they usually do.

I saw a mice in the kitchen so set a trap before I went to work. When I got home the trap had caught the mouse but not in the way you would have expected.  It had caught him by his rear end and trapped the back two legs.

With his front legs stretched out he had tried to escape. There was a gap underneath the skirting board and he had made part the way through there but with his back part still stuck in the trap couldn't escape completely.

By the time I got home rigor mortis had set in and he was as stiff as a board with the front part still under the skirting board.  I tried to wiggle him out and he snapped in two.   Uggggh it was horrible.  Needless to say all skirting board gaps have now been filled.

Sally 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »
Sally, try peanut butter as the bait - rub it well onto the spike.  I've never had one maimed and die an agonising death like this since I switched to peanut butter as bait.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:27 pm »

Well it is different.  Filling the mouse's insides up with plaster of paris which will presumably set or at least block the digestive tract will lead to a slow and painful death by starvation and pain.  A trap will usually kill it quickly - you are right Sallyintnorth - peanut butter gets them cleanly every time. Rat poison of the Warfarin type shouldn't be painful either, just a gentle falling asleep from blood loss. 
We don't have to be cruel when we have to kill animals - there is usually a kind way.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »
Thanks SallyintNorth
I'm putting a jar of peanut butter on my shopping list.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
mice?? and rats...
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »

Well on this one I think I'd prefer a swift decapitation to a more lingering death by turning my stomach to stone.

I have always found mouse traps (the Nipper type) very easy to use and very effective too.  We use peanut butter as bait - it's good and sticky, so they will definitely need to get on the plinth properly to get it.  Since switching to this I have never had any empty sprung traps nor any mice caught by the leg or tail, they've all been well and truly snapped and killed outright in an instant.

It's key to position the trap somewhere they'll like to be - either on a run they already use, preferably against a wall or even better in a channel, or in an inviting-looking crevice, corner or nook.  In the latter case, where you are wanting them to go somewhere they don't usually go, you may have to be patient for a few nights before they decide to have a lick at it.

All of which, for me, works for mice.

Rats, however - now that's a whole different ball game.  I don't have a solution that I am happy with for these fellas.
Yes rats are a different ball game.   If you set a trap and dont tie it down the rat runs off with it.  A pumpkin seed on the trap brings them in, but you need to tie the trap down.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:49 pm »
Just a bit of advice about the Plaster of Paris idea .
 The guys on a professional pest controller site I play on  have been quite pointed in condemning the idea .
 They say it is in humane and will get you done under the 1911 cruelty to animals act if you happen to get found out as it is  considered / tantamount to long drawn out intentional cruelty .

I used to hunt  all sorts of things to eat and over the years have come to respect my quarry by despatching it as quick and painlessly as possible. I'd rather have a 2 second or so meaty mess in a trap than finding a fourteen day rotting from the inside creature that is in agony and about to die hiding in my feed shed .

I'd even consider that ethos on rats mice and insects as well  ....there's no need to let them suffer any longer than needed to kill them.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS