Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it ok?  (Read 2563 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
Is it ok?
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:52:19 am »
Hi all

Yet again another question from me, but I guess as somebody wise once said the only stupid question is the one not asked ;D

So, is it ok to continue milking my goats while they are running with the buck, will it affect their fertility/ability to become pregnant, and if it is ok to milk, when should I stop milking?

Three of the four have come on heat recently and they run with the buck during the day and he has covered them and will continue to run with them for a while, we will get them scanned then.

Thanks as usual in advance

Brid

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Is it ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »
I am planning to continue milking mine for a couple of months into their pregnancies, and stop around Xmas time (about 8 weeks before due date at the latest). As far as I know that's being done in commercial herds all the time.

However I am not sure if the milk starts to have a goaty taste if they run with the billy, mine will just go for a quickie as I do not (yet) have my own males.

I am sure Ballingal will know though.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:58:30 pm »
It is normal to milk them on for a month or two into the pregnancy. There is no point in drying them off until you know they are pregnant- otherwise you might end up with an animal that is not producing anything and isn't pregnant either!

The only thing you would need to worry about would be the smell and if it tainted the milk- it shouldn't taint it overally. I would take them away from the billy to milk and make sure you wash down their udder's fully with warm soapy water before you milk them, and then dry it off too, to make sure that no residual smell or taint gets into the milk.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:46:51 pm »
I usually carry on milking  my females until around 8-10 weeks before kidding - by that I mean, I will have been gradually drying them off up to that time.  Starting with two weeks of milking once a day, then every other day and so on .......

You do need to continue milking while they are running with the billy, otherwise you will have some uncomfortable goats.  Even if the female is just served  by the billy, and not run with him, the smell is not good, and sticks to everything ......so possible the milk could have a funny taste too.  So, if billy runs with the female it will more than likely be worse!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
I don't run mine with the billy, they shout and tail flick like mad the day they are in season and so I take them to visit (he is well away, out of nose reach!) - and it takes about 2 minutes and all is done  :D

I milk mine until about 2 months before kidding, depending  on their condition (I'd stop earlier if they looked thin), drying them off gradually, so starting the drying off process a couple of weeks earlier.

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:18:37 am »
Hi all thanks for the advice, I will continue milking them for a wee while more then.
They run with the billy for a few hours each day are separated at night and milked in the morning, last year, I thought two were in kid but turned out they weren't so I ended up buying my own billy to make sure I didnt make the same mistake again, thats why I let them run with him during the day.  They all get on fine and he just becomes one of the gang if they are not in heat (and hopefully wont be again, till after they kid  ;D)

So here's hoping for four happy mammies next year, thanks again all. :bouquet:

Brid

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:17:33 am »
I also milk until a couple of months before the kids are due, then gradually dry off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS