Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits!!!  (Read 3884 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Rabbits!!!
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »
HELP!!! There seem to be hundreds of them all decending on my brand new and doing very well vegetable plot.  I have them covered at the moment with wire fencing, but they need to grow up now and can't think of a solution.  My dogs chase them when they can be bothered, but then I'm afraid they will catch one!! Any thoughts :-\

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Rabbits!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:22:17 pm »
Nothing to help you I'm afraid but I have noticed in the last 2 years there appear to be many more rabbits on my land than ever before.

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:24:09 pm »
you could ask a local with ferrets to come and sort them out, or you could use live traps .. they cost about £20 each , but will last for many years . With live traps you then have to decide what you are going to do with them if you catch any ? Break their necks or let them go on someone else's land ? The ferret man will most likely keep what he catches , but they normally give you some if you want them . I hate snares so never advise anybody to use them . You could end up catching one of your own dogs or someone else's , or even a cat . Whatever , it is a horrible way to kill them . Poison is out too as you have dogs , if you have a big area you could try your local falconer, someone with a Harris hawk would be able to help . But they need plenty of room to work in . Then you have air rifles . If you can sit there for hours on end , hiding under cover , you may see one , but nearly always just out of range !! You could also ask someone with a lurcher to take their dog walkies by your plot , if you have plenty of flat space ? Out of all those I would say the ferret man would be the best choice . They will clear large numbers in one go , and come back on a regular basis if you want them too.....

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »
These people might be able to find you a local person.
http://www.ashfieldferretclub.com/mefc2008.htm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:37:23 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:36:45 am »
Your local council web site should have telephone numbers for rabbit control (ferrets) as a service, as they do for bee swarms etc.  I got put in contact with the local ferreter through mine. 

My land is surrounded by land owned by vegetarians and they have a strict no shooting/trapping policy which is a nightmare as the rabbits don't seem to know that if they come on my land they WILL be shot! 

I have my veggie plot like Fort Knox though - so they can't get in. ;D

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:28 pm »
Update on my rabbit problem - I couldn't do anything to harm them - I'm too soft!! So I feed them far away from my veg patch, in an empty field - the farmer thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't mind.  Now have a worse problem - A RAT!!! Stil my Jack Russell - Colin is on to that one - he doesn't mind rabbits, but the smell of a rat is driving him crazy - now a rat I am quite happy to harm and so is he!

urban farmer

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:00:36 pm »
If anyone in the Essex area has such a problem do give me a shout and I will be happy to pop over with the ferrets / traps / gun t remove the offending beasties

M

bedrock

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:05 pm »
If your not prepared to get rid of them your self get some one else to do it there would be plenty of people prepared to do it, you could even look on Google for local pest control or wild life management companies. Feeding them will do nothing to stop them from eating your veg.  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:49:06 pm »
ask your local shoot manager, he is bound to know some guns who would be delighted to a have a few potshots at them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS