Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wanted:Livestock trailer hire Northants/Peterborough/Huntingdon  (Read 4543 times)

Mel

wanted:Livestock trailer hire Northants/Peterborough/Huntingdon
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:50 am »
Hi Everyone  :wave:

I thought I would ask if anyone has a livestock trailer within reasonable distance-Northants/Peterborough/Huntingdon that I could hire from them for a few days? Saturday to Mon/Tue? one weekend or by the end of the month? it is just to take my four boars to the abattoir.

I am asking here only,I know some of us could do with the extra pennies and would sooner pay some other smallholder than a Big hire centre.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:42:45 am by leghorn »

chickenfeed

Re: wanted:Livestock trailer hire Northants/Peterborough/Huntingdon
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »
i will ask about for you ours are all in full use this time of year with weekly trips to slaughterhouses so we cant  offer ours.

Mel

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
Thank you very much,I may not need one as long but have been advised to get the pigs used to it for a couple of days,I was rather hoping they would go in with minimal of fuss!

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »
i have asked a couple of farmers the trouble is most of them i know do the slaughterhouse run and all the slaughterhouses kill on a monday so the trailers are in use.

i still have a couple to ask when i catch up with them this weekend.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »
With time and patience you can tempt your pigs into a trailer using food, then you won't need to acclimatise them to it. It's amazing how a pig's stomach will lead it! It works a treat with the bosses Tamworths and only takes 10 minutes to load pigs who have never seen a trailer before.  Someone may be more likely to loan a trailer for a short time. Good luck.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:19:26 pm »
I got a friend's porker into our trailer using pig nuts as a bribe, took a couple of goes, maybe 10-15 minutes in all.  He had seen me about a few times but didn't really know me.  (The porker, not the friend.)

We kept him (again, porker not friend) in the trailer overnight, in sound and smelling distance of our pigs.  He seemed comfortable and happy.  Straight off to the abattoir in the morning, no stress whatsoever.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »
I have been trying this today and they follow me when I have food on me,so I believe this shall work fine! My only worry is how to get the boys in and keep the girls out!I am sure it shall be fun :o

Mel

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:04 am »
Bump.I need to take them next Monday,I still have not managed to sort out a suitable trailer :o I know I left it late but bought one off of ebay and I fell through the floor-it is knackered! Anyone able to help please?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:00 am »
itmay be easier to fix the floor!!!!!! ;)

Mel

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:27:51 am »
Unfortunately not as easy as it could be,it also needs the chassis welding as is rotten through,not worth just trying to replace the floor until the welding has been done :-\

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:13 pm »
 :wave:i have exhausted all avenues but all the people i have asked are in the same position as us we have slaughterhouse runs every monday for the next 6 weeks its a very busy time.

just a idea barnwell trailer used to hire out trailers not sure if they still do but its worth a try.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:13:28 am »
Hi,
I've PM'd you (I think) coz i'm too shy to write it all on here.
Louise
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS