Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barn owl site  (Read 9548 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Barn owl site
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:31 am »
Hopefully we will get planning soon for our barn. We have talked about siting a owl nesting box or similar nest site in the barn. We have barn owls around the grounds and see them often.
Do we need to get the RSPB in or can we just put one up there and cross our fingers they nest.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Barn owl site
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:59 am »
How exciting  :) :)

The RSPB would be able to give you advice about precisely where to site the nest box, and the best design for construction but you could probably work that out for yourself too.
I do hope you will keep us all up to date with how this works out
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:36:01 pm »
The Barn Owl Trust website is the best place for loads of info on this

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
We've got a barn owl box in our barn. The cats sleep in it. Hope you have better luck.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »
Sounds like the barn owls are already well established in your area - lucky you :-)

Do they really need another nesting site on your barn?

I only ask because we were told that if we had barn owls nesting anywhere in our outbuildings we wouldn't have got planning for any of the building that we wanted to do around the place.

So putting a box up may end up being a bit of a curse re: future plans/ideas which you then might not be able to carry out because barn owls are there.

Sorry - sounds a bit negative  :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:57:31 pm »
Also altho I love barn owls my parents friends place in France has them and the noise baby barn owls make is unbelieveable apparently, so I am thinking barn owl box in suitable tree/pole rather than human occupied building. Snoring noise they make!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
 Lol, who'd have thought that baby owls snored  :D

I'm going to put a box into my field barn too - hoping to attract them, as there seem to be plenty of voles about......

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »
Feldar,

Did you get your barn?  And any owls?  We spent days making two boxes, went on a course about barn owls, OH  :farmer:nearly broke his neck putting the boxes up in the barn... and we got pigeons! ;D ;D ;D

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »
Hi Bramblecot
Would you believe it has taken us over a year to get planning for a barn! trust us to live in a anti-farming yuppy area.
So all thought s of putting up boxes were put on hold until we got the darn thing up.
But the owl is still about and we have seen her flying around so maybe soon we can get things moving for a clutch next year :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:00:00 pm »
Hi Feldar,

We got planning easily for our barn - but only becuase we put it in an awkward place where it could not be seen.  It' s a real bind to access and the neighbouring farmer's reaction was ' what a b*****y stupid place for a barn!  But if we had asked for it near the house/road we would have had loads of objections too.  It is lovely when now though - my sheep maternity wing  ;D ;D ;D - and pigeon loft  ::) ::)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:20:12 am »
How exciting  :) :)

The RSPB would be able to give you advice about precisely where to site the nest box,

IMHO the only advice they would give you is where to site their collecting box.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 06:26:17 am »
This could be 'old news' but of interest;-
We stopped in a guest house near Keswick 2 year ago, a working farm on National Trust Land. The NT had spent a fortune in grants on repairing old barns, up to £40,000 per barn ? For the purpose of siting Barn Owls and this farm had one which could be seen flying up and down the valley bellow.
The farm lass, our land lady, told us where to walk and look, which we did, and out came the barn owl which I must say has to be one of the most fantastic sights and experiences ever. A massive white silent bird with gold guilt edgings swooped down over my head, then our lasses and I thought it was going to carry her away. I was just frozen in my tracks, our lass ducked and the moment seemed to last for ever. Every time I see a white plastic supermarket bag blowing around I now have to look twice.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »
 :wave: Old topic but an update. :excited: :excited: :excited:

Three weeks ago I saw a barn owl in the garden, and watched it 3 evenings in a row and it flew INTO THE BARN.   ;D ;D
Last night we were moving sheep in there and a terrible racket was coming from one of the barn owl nest boxes ??? .
I've been down there quietly tonight and it really does sound like 'snoring'.
Now  :fc: :fc: for a happy ending.  I feel like a 6 year old.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:11 am »
 :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
Well done you :excited:   We haven't got our box up yet in the barn, but the one on the tree in the wood was used last year to raise a clutch, and i've seen the owls about this year too so :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS