Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel bought as Hen  (Read 6753 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Cockerel bought as Hen
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »
has anyone any idea what this fella is my friend was sold these 2 as araucana hens lol when they were young birds his first chickens
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Cockerel bought as Hen
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »
That is the result of a Rhode Island Red cockeral crossed with a Barred Plymouth Rock!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:18 pm »
He's a handsome fella, regardless.

I have heard of hens changing into cockerels.

A neighbour of ours has taken more than a little stick recently for buying ten hens - most of whom turned out to be cockerels :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »
I am hopeless at sexing hens.  Usually, it dawns on me that the beautiful looking pullet is actually a cockerel when they make that first pathetic attempt to crow!!!

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:20:03 am »
That is the result of a Rhode Island Red cockeral crossed with a Barred Plymouth Rock!

hi does his make it a misspepperpot (or speckledlady ?)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:20 am »
[/quoten]

Thank you for that Captain, what would that make him? & if he got some hens the same type would they breed true? poor lad think the breeder saw him coming lol I knew its wasn't an Aruacana mores the pity my Violet could do with a fella!!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:09 am »
The wife says there may be a bit of Aracuna in him as ours doesn't have the speckledy legs that yours has. He's a real bŁ$tard though to my other chickens so he's Sunday lunch.

Don't know on the breeding front how breeding a cross with the same cross would work - I'm sure someone with more experience in genetics will be along in a minute....

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:28 pm »
He sure is a handsome looking lad, wouldn't like to guess his breeding though. :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 12:04:29 pm »
we were also given 2 pet chickens which turned out both really pretty boys  ;D I think who gave them to us had a suspicion as he didn't charge for them.  :chook: :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »
he's very handsome, and love the little rhodie peeking round the side - cracking photo :)
Little Blue

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

I'm afraid I have to say I don't agree with you there. I would have thought a BPR (hen)  would be E/E & B/-, or E^R/E^R & Ml/Ml & B/-, resulting in offspring cocks single factor cuckoo (E/e^Wh, or E/e^y (E^R/e^Wh, or E^R/e^y & Ml/ml+), & B/b+) with Mh/mh+ & Co/Co or Co/co+.
I'd hazard a guess and say he was RIR x silver laced (or carrier of) hen as he appears to be e^Wh/e^b, Co/Co (Co/co+), Pg/pg+, Ml/ml+, Mh/mh+, S/s+.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:42 am »
Er, yeah, that makes sense. You don't totally disagree though - he is the result of RIR cross something, and as I said in another post, the wife reckoned that there was Aracuna in him somewhere. I didn't spot the speckledy legs, other than that he is a carbon copy of my RIR x BPR.

Feel free to translate what you put though as it just looks like you're being a smart arse.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:58:26 am »
http://sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/t%26dcreating/basics-about-chicken-color-genetics-heritage/breeding-with-a-passion-and-with-a-vieuw

This site give a good basic idea of colour gentics. Dominant genes & recessive genes, colour genes codes. The first time I read it I got the gist of it. Subsequent reads have utterly confused me.

I reckon he looks like he has some cream crested legbar ginger saddle in him.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
so after all the guessing all we come up with was his mother was possibly abit of a sla@@er lol ;D
but either was i think he is stunning
 ;)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:28 am »
so after all the guessing all we come up with was his mother was possibly abit of a sla@@er lol ;D

;)

;D ;D ;D love it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS