Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beware  (Read 8326 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Beware
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:35 pm »
Grapes and raisins as few as 7 can cause acute renal failure in dogs.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Beware
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:53 pm »
is this true, my dog was always given grapes but he used to hunt them (stalking them) as well as peas, but i dont ever think he got  as many as 7 as it took him so long to stalked, capture and kill them,I was normally finished eating them lol.
Linz

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »
When my springer spaniel boy was about 1yr old he stole a bunch of red grapes off the bunker top in the kitchen (i'd just bought them!) and he scoffed the lot.. he's still alive.. gave him the runs tho  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:10:55 pm »
Another thing to be aware of is Lungworm - a young Brittany bred by a friend of mine has been extremely ill as a result of eating grass with slug trail on it - ANGIOSTRONGYLUS VASORUM has been traveling further North as a result of global warming and has reached Glasgow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7492135.stm  Both of these dogs were close to death and prompt recognition of the symptoms and action have saved them so far.  We are awaiting an update on Harry the Brittany.
Not all wormers can deal with Lung and Heart worm - I believe Milbemax and Panacure are good.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:45 pm »
My boy LOVES grapes, same as Linz though - don't think he's ever had as many as 7 in one go. Mind you he used to love getting brocolli (or maybe it was the cheese sauce on it ?) until I found out it can be toxic for dogs - it was on 'Dog Borstal' one night.
The lungworm thing is VERY worrying though, given that dogs do eat grass from time to time and the amount of slugs going about in all this mild, wet weather. I'll be reading the worming tablets much more closely next time !

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
i'll let my mum know recently her dog was very ill

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »
chum's uses to eat everything but wasn't kean of dogfood lol
I put it down tot he fact that he was a rescued dog, and there was rumour he was very ill treated, he loved Marg spread straight out the tub, was told once to discurage him from eatting it put hot spicying things in it, so what i tried was mustard powder,chilli powder, peppers, everything thing you could think off but the still ate it, i awaited for the reseaoning stomache condictions but never abnormal happen from either end, So i always took it that chumly had a cast iron stomach, I never did cure him of the marg tub thing just had to change the place it was keep lol

linz

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »
OMG Brocolli - My big dog loves the brocolli stalk, he always waits there drooling when I am doing the veg (also the carrot ends - the cabbage stalk and the cauliflower stalk.

he does get runs sometimes, but that is normal for him (pork does the same to him - he is faffy !) - should I stop giving him these things do you think

Milly

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
Hi HappyHippy.

It would appear to indeed be true  :o full info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs

The estimated toxic dose of grapes is 32 g/kg (grams of grapes per kilograms of mass of the dog), and for raisins it is 11–30 g/kg

Until a pal of our had a scare the other day we would never have believed it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:29:25 pm by sabrina »

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:44 pm »
OMG Brocolli - My big dog loves the brocolli stalk, he always waits there drooling when I am doing the veg (also the carrot ends - the cabbage stalk and the cauliflower stalk.

My dog's the same - loves his fruit & veg (weirdo ;D)

I found this on a vet info site - I think as long as they're not getting loads it should be ok.
'Broccoli toxicity

Q: Dear Mike, This is follow-up on yesterday's conversation just to remind you. If the stuff is a no-no for dogs maybe it's worth noting in your web site. Thanks, NvB

A: It is always good to remind me of things -- I had forgotten.

Broccoli toxicity has been noted in livestock. Apparently in California it is widely available at certain times and the dairy cattle there are fed broccoli due to this. If the percentage of broccoli in the diet exceeds 10% it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and if it exceeds 25% it is fatal.

I could not find any references to problems with broccoli in small animals, probably because no one feeds them more than 10% of their diet as broccoli or possibly because they don't have rumens and therefore don't digest the broccoli as thoroughly.

The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

So G. might be right. But I did find several references suggesting that broccoli should be fed to pets because of the bioflavinoids in it and their cancer fighting capabilities. So he might be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are planning on feeding a lot of broccoli at one time. But your daughter might want to follow her vet's advice or find out if there is more evidence of toxicity than I can find.

Mike Richards, DVM'

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:59:50 pm by HappyHippy »

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »
Hi HappyHippy.

It would appear to indeed be true  :o full info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs

The estimated toxic dose of grapes is 32 g/kg (grams of grapes per kilograms of mass of the dog), and for raisins it is 11–30 g/kg

I think my boy should be safe enough with the grapes then - at 8 and a half stone he'd need about 2lbs of grapes to do any damage, and he's no chance of that amount with the kids going about  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:23 pm »
Our vet's had a list up - raisins, grapes, chocolate, macadamia nuts. Don't remember brocolli being on it, though.

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:23 am »
Thanks for the info - I'll take care i future.

Oscar is the weight of a full grown man though and would eat just about as much if we let him so hopefully the odd stalk won't hurt.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS