Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Battery Hens  (Read 5042 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Battery Hens
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »
I am collecting a dozen battery hens tommorrow; I needed some new layers since my lot are hopeless at the moment!

Anyway I decided to take this route and I have to say having made the arrangements I am really excited about it.  I found a useful link which gives advice about caring for ex bat hens which I thought I would share with you all in the event that some of you may decide to take the same route as me.

I will let you know how my new ladies get on!

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/caring-for-battery-hens.php

Kate  :chook: ;D
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Battery Hens
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:10:02 pm »
well done kate, i hope they lay well for you.  i know of people who re home ex bats who knit them little jackets to keep them warm untill their feathers regrow.
i am getting some ex commercial free rangers next week, but they should be ok to go in with my girls after a short qurantine time to allow them to relax a bit. I am having to get some re inforcements as i am getting more people wantin eggs than mine can lay. also getting some for someone else who is new to keeping hens and wanted me to hold their hand so to speak.
 Good luck to your new girls and hope they appreciate their new home.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »
Great news - I'm usually on my soap box about ex batts - I had some in my last home and when i moved I re-homed them then got 6 new ones down here.  They are a joy to have.  You will love them.  I must admit I wouldn't go as far as knitting little jumpers for them.......... but I bet I can guess who would!! eh Lindsey?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 09:28:00 am »
I am with you on that one, I have 14 exbats and they are very friendly special girls, I am picking up another 10 on the 14th march. I work as a volunteer for the BHWT on rehoming days and it is an amazing experience being the first to take them from their crates and watch them looking around in astonishment.  :)
juliag

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:03:24 pm »
I'd quite happily volunteer to help too - how do you go about that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:32 am »
Well the chooks have arrived - we bought two dozen of which some friends have taken some.  The girlies are settled and already their instincts are kicking in and some are starting to peck and scratch around.

I have seen the battery farms on the television but not for real - OMG I couldn't believe the numbers in there.  Our girlies are not strong on their legs yet, but despite missing a lot of feathers, they are not totally bald, and with a bit of sunshine their cones will change from the pale pale tones they are now to a lovely rich red in no time I hope.

I collected their eggs yesterday and eating their first one was like eating our first free range egg from our first chickens - it was lovely just knowing that they had space to lay in albeit randomly, but hey it was on soft hay and not in a crate.  I only kick myself for not taking this route a long time ago. 

It is a nice feeling to know that ok you cannot save them all, but these 24 at 70 weeks old have now had their lives changed forever, and I just love that.

Kate  :chook: :)
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »
Well done! I'm sure your girls will soon be at full strength.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:26 am »
On "Pause for thought", Radio 2 this morning the speaker was telling how at the weekend she and her children went off to rescur battery hens. She explained that she had told her kids that where they were going they would see some horrendous sights but that they had to "see through" that in order to rescue the birds. The youngest was most horrified when she saw where these birds lived and they found her a hen that had more feathers than others. The middle one said she didn't think she could "do it" but eventually picked one and the eldest picked one with an eye missing as he said no one else would want to give it a home.

After being free range in their new home for a very short time they were happy running about flapping their wings - something they probably had never done before due to lack of space. Well done that woman and her family, shame on people for being allowed to keep any animal in such barbaric squalor.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:45:44 am »
contact the Battery hen welfare trust www.bhwt.org.uk/ and they will put you in touch with your local rep. On the whold as a volunteer you meet up with the rep back at their house/farm after the hens have been  taken from the farm, help with health checks, clipping nails, checking their eyes etc and then catching them and popping them into the new owners boxes. An amazing experience and great fun. This time will be the first time I have been 'allowed' to go to the battery farm so will probably be a bit more harrowing.  :)
juliag

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »
Have emailed Jim in Callander to offer my services.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:32:46 pm »
Excellent, you will love it!
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS