Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New blood... Saanens  (Read 2674 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
New blood... Saanens
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:49 am »
Is anybody looking for new bloodlines for their pure Saanens ?

As there are so few Saanens... I have imported some from Holland in 2010 & now have 1 female kid & 1, maybe 2 males available.

The family line is bred to produce 1500kg upwards with 4.5% BF.... I have all the lactation certificates from Holland to prove this.  Excellent udders are the 'norm'with fantastic front & rear attachment.

PM for further detail & phone number.

Price is low so they go to proper breeding homes.

My herd is Scrapie monitored, CAE neg & Brucella melitensis tested.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: New blood... Saanens
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »
I will be looking for a male for stud next year fi you keep one and if you are not too far.  I'm in Shropshire.   :goat:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:42:28 am »
Thanks for the enquiry..... unfortunately in this case distance may not be the problem.

As my original post says , my herd is scrapie monitored so I can only accept goats that are also on the scheme.

Defra in its wisdom, inclided males on the scheme in Autumn 2007  which means that females that are of a lesser status (in their eyes) are excluded from being covered by the very best available.   There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.... unless of course your girls are scrapie monitored !!

I realise that being on the scheme has lost me a huge amount of money,  but to export I need this Health Certificate.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:03 pm »
No my girls aren't on the scheme.  Don't know much about it to be honest.  However, someone who has a British Sanaan billy has contacted me so that's a possibility.  :goat:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:51:30 am »
According to our vets, there is no further need to scrapie test now because according to Defra there is no scrapie any more in this country. it is erradicated ( according to Defra ) or at least until it becomes convienient for them.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:25 am »
In order to export we have to be on the scheme... no way round it.

There have been 3 cases of scrapie known this year... mostly in commercial herds....   but as they sell to private people,  you can see the risks.   It is certainly not eradicated yet..... there are going to be changes to the scheme but no details released yet.

Defra are hiding their heads on this one.... sheep farmers have abandoned the scheme because it is possible to genotype sheep at risk of scrapie,   but it is not possible for goats.

Basically we don't have to do blood tests but submit any goats that are PTS for brain examination.... this eliminates the possibility that any goats are carrying the disease but not showing it.

b]I can sell goats to anybody not on the scheme.... it just means I cannot buy from anybody not on the scheme[/b][/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:33:56 am by wytsend »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS