Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rare Breeds at Market  (Read 2459 times)

Plas Nant

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Conwy
    • Plas Nant Rare Breed Soay Sheep
Rare Breeds at Market
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
I posted this query in another thread but it was probably the wrong one.
I was wondering if any of our more experienced keepers have sold or seen rare breed sheep, particularly the smaller ones like the Soay, at a normal cattle market? I'm particularly interested to know if the supermarket or any other buyers were interested in them, being some what different in looks, weight and meat to commercial breeds. I've attended the market at Gaerwen on Anglesey a few times for a looksee, but have never seen any sheep there other than the normal crosses. I don't really anticipate selling through a weekly sale, but you never know.

Bob
North Wales based breeder and supplier of pedigree, registered Soay sheep. Member of RBST and Soay Sheep Society.

robert waddell

Re: Rare Breeds at Market
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
rare breed sheep sell at normal sales    just they don't get as much for them  the suppermarket buyers are looking for uniformity in all there purchases
when euroscot were operational at bathgate i saw the palaver they had to go through to supply and maintain these suppermarket contracts and that was only for the lamb chops
our first venture into sheep were Shetland cross   wild as the hills until they had been worked with then they came to the bucket  Hampshire's are far better and with more flesh just what the buyer wants :farmer:

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:08:46 pm »
I regularly sell Shetland and crosses of them at the market.  I've also sold breeding sheep (which were mentioned in their advert for a special sale) and got very good prices for them.  Cull Shetland ewes make around 45 each at the moment, which is fine as I don't want eat them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
I think the supermarkets have no interest in what breed the lambs are that they buy and they prefer lambs that are 21kg (not more but really not much less than 18kg although they will pay down to 15 or 16) deadweight and have a lot of muscle on their rumps, loins and across the shoulders.

Certain export markets pay a premium for a smaller carcase.

If you have any volume, speak to your local mart about deadweight sales.  They will know the outlets for the types of lambs you have.

Our local mart weekly sale would find buyers for Soays - we get goats and all sorts occasionally and everything sells - but you really wouldn't get much per kilo.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS