Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Packaging  (Read 2675 times)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Packaging
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
I need to send some meat from Scotland to friends and family in England.  Can anyone recommend the best place to buy suitable packaging in small amounts to go through the post.  Also is it legal to send meat (frozen) through the post?  Thanks in advance
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Packaging
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:13 pm »
I send fresh pork in insulated boxes, with frozen gel packs with them to keep at correct temperature.

How are you going to keep the meat frozen for the time in transit?  Or are you sending frozen for them to use as soon as they get it?   Best to check with the courier you are using to see if they will accept frozen meat.

I buy the insulated boxes and gel packs in bulk, but I do sell them individually to local people.  You could check with a local farm shop/butcher to see if they would do the same.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:03:01 pm »
How many do you need i have insulated packaging and freezer packs that i can send to you at cost price . We have sent frozen meat next day delivery with no defrosting the ice packs freeze to minus24 and guarentee to maintain the meat frozen for 24 hrs .We also tried them out at home first kept in a very warm kitchen for 24 hrs  the meat was still frozen. pm me if you are interested or want any more info

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:30:36 pm »
I thought of sending it frozen because I freeze meat down as soon as I get it back from the butcher. I suppose I thought it stands more chance of keeping fresh is it gets held up and thaws out. I'm open to advice as I've never done this before.  I will PM you gavo, and thank you for your kind offer.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:16 pm »
I took a rolled loin of lamb with me from Aberdeen to Gatwick in a small cool bag and you could tell they were certain it was semtex until I quickly explained that it was from my sheep to my mum! They were much happier then! It must be a texture/shape/density thing!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »
i had a drop in londonderry in january and as i had time went to a friends place about a mile of the main road ended up bringing 1 fresh goose and 10 frozen roosters they all survived the trip to swindon wilts in a plastic box no ice no freeze packs nothing i left there at 11am and got back home at 2230. hope you get sorted

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »
Thanks, guys, I did think of taking it on the plane in the hold luggage, but wasn't sure if it was legal?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:06:15 pm »
our friend rang up stenna line while i was there and asked the question  and they said yes it was fine on boat. then i got pulled by scottish police just off the boat and had to explain to them why i had a black bag full of bodies lol ;D

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:44:18 pm »
I send fresh pork in insulated boxes, with frozen gel packs with them to keep at correct temperature.

Where do you get the insulated packs from JulieS?
Thanks
Tish

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:38:01 pm »
I get the boxes and gel packs from MK Ingredients.....www.mkwholesale.co.uk

I have an account with them. 

I use them for my rusk, hog casings, vac pack bags etc.  I mix all my own seasonings, so never tried them for mixes.

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 04:06:44 pm »
 Hi Julie S
I've just been reading this with interest as I wanted to send some beef to my sister in Inverness. I've checked  the MK website but it doesn't seem to work for me.  I wondered if you need to contact with them by phone and do they have a catalogue available?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:42:49 pm »
I think they just cover the Devon area Snapper, and it is wholesale, so usually have to buy a quantity of anything you need.   They don't do mail order, they deliver by van here every Thursday. 

Worth giving them a call if you are going to be buying a few.......If anyone is in this area and would like me to order them anything just let me know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS