Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED: Far North-West of England : Castlemilk moorit wethers (tame if poss!)  (Read 2344 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Well, ever since BH let it be known he was not averse to me getting a small rare breed sheep flock, I've been looking at what I'd like to do.

I have really liked all the Castlemilk moorits I've seen, and I know of a couple of small breeding flocks for sale.

However, primitives and similar are so very different to what I am used to, I think I would be well advised to take Fleecewife's advice and get a few wethers first.  Then I'll get to know whether I really like to have them around, whether they are or are not too 'wick' for our system and location, what their wool is really like to use and/or sell, and whether we like the taste of them.

So I am on the hunt for some wethers that would run on until next summer / back end and be good eating then.  (So that I get to have a go with the wool as well as the meat.)

All advice very welcome!  As well as any suggestions of where I might get some wethers.

Thanks
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
The ones I went to visit were in Dumfries and Galloway somewhere ( I realise that's a bit vague... They also had Galloway cattle, if that helps to find them)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
The Castlemilk estate is in Dumfries, but I don't know whether they now have some or not.

My local Rare Breeds man will no doubt help me track some down if I need it, and should know if there's a flock that local.  I thought he said the nearest was Broughton-in-Furness but I could have mis-heard, it was very noisy.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Hi Sally - I'll pm you with the address and any others I can find

(pm sent)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:13:03 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
Hi Sally,

Have PM'd you, have a couple of wethers for sale.

Thanks, Elliott

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS