Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walnut tree help  (Read 9109 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Walnut tree help
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:02 pm »
I am quite ashamed to admit that after 7 years of living in our house we never realised that outside the front of the house there is a walnut tree,we always thought it was an apple tree as on the other side from it was a massive apple tree that blew over in a storm,im guessing that as we hadnt noticed before that since we have been here it has never fruited.so help needed,we have picked the ones that are open is this right and left the closed ones still on there,how do we care for this tree does it need pruning,last november some of the branches had to be cut off as i couldnt get my horsebox out of the drive apart from that we have done nothing to it,any other tips,have put a pic up if anyone could guess how old it looks.

Thanks

Karen

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Re: Walnut tree help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »
Piggy

Walnuts are heavy bleeders (bleed from wounds). The best practice is not to prune at all however if you need to, then July would be the best time. Always avoid spring (bud burst) and  early autumn (leaf senescence/ abscission), at both these times the tree uses a lot of energy and depletes its resources.

As for age, the general rule of thumb for open grown trees (not woodland) is, measure the circumference of the trunk at 1.5m above ground level, each 2.5cm equates to approximately 1 year.

example- 100cm circumference divided by 2.5cm = 40 years approx. Hope this helps.

Richard

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:50:51 am »
"A dog a woman and a wallnut tree,
The more you beat them the better they be"

I have my suspicions that this may not help, 

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:25 pm »
Thanks Richard,i will leave well alone then,had a measure and it came out at 64 years old.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:52:02 pm »
"A dog a woman and a wallnut tree,
The more you beat them the better they be"

I have my suspicions that this may not help,

Beating the tree bole in early spring in a two foot wide band with a decent heavy stick for a few minutes on each tree  is supposed bruise the bark and cambium ( sp ) layers to help the sap rise in early spring , you are supposed to get a better harvest of nuts as a result .

I have very fond memories of my uncle and aunt  doing this to  walnut trees  as a kid back in 1955
PS

Walnuts can be pickled when green cased and white are contents or leave them till they drop , then get really dark stained hands  from collecting them by the sack full & also removing the rotting coverings to reveal  your shelled walnut  .
Half the kids in our school used to turn up with badly stained walnut hands after helping over a weekend to harvest and process the nuts ready for christmas
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:46 am »
I am intrigued to read the following.

Beating the tree is supposed bruise the bark and cambium ( sp ) layers to help the sap rise in early spring , you are supposed to get a better harvest of nuts

We have 3 trees near us. They look about the same size but the number and size of nuts on each is very different. The tree just over my fence is pretty much bruised  by cattle that rub up against it -it is the best cropper. The second tree is on a rocky outcrop in the same field and is the worst cropper. My tree has never been beaten by cattle horns , crops OK but has the smallest nuts.
I will give it a good beating in the spring ( just hope that I am not seen by anyone).
Great tip - thanks
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »
Just don't beat your woman.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »
There has just been a short segment on walnuts on Great British food revival if you want to iplayer it - afraid I was only half listening so no idea if it will be useful for you!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:08 am »
I watched that too.   I love fresh walnuts and pickled walnuts as long as there is no added sugar in the vinegar.   We don't have a walnut tree so I never get to eat either of those delicious treats  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:06 am »
I had a great crop from my tree the last two years but this year the very late, hard frost got the new growth and flower clusters so no nuts. I harvest them by waiting until they drop (with the leaves) then shuffle my feet along underneath feeling for the nuts (and rolling the cases off) Theres always a few I miss in the leaf pile when I pick them up...they do smell wonderful though(the dead leaves)

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
We find that they taste better when dried indoors for a couple of weeks, also store better without going mouldy.

Has anyone tried Walnut liquour, especially from the green? 

I also notice that my sheep do not touch the leaves, shame really as that means I have to gather them all up.

Laurieston

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
You could "brew" some cracking leafmould for the garden I bet?

Also, what DO pickled walnuts taste like?
I just can't quite imagine...  ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:09 pm »
They taste like...er...pickled walnuts  :D :D :D

The unexpected thing is that they are soft and black, not crunchy like nuts.  You can buy them in the deli at this time of year - worth a try if you like pickles.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
Oh I like most pickled things but have never ventured beyond the vegetable realm. One day I will try a pickled egg  :o
Maybe not the same day as the walnuts!

(My other culinary ambition is a deep fried mars bar  ;D )

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 12:16:55 am »
I will NEVER try a pickled egg  :D :D :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS