Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetlands  (Read 13917 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Shetlands
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
Ok, so I think I might get some Shetlands, when my Rough Fells have gone. I can't imagine not having sheep and truthfully I don't have the time for a pony while I'm working full-time too. But Shetlands I could handle in my own, if i could get them tame?

So - do you put Shetlands to the tup when they're 18months old, like most hill breeds or can they be tupped as lambs?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Shetlands
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:33 pm »
Shetland lambs are still pretty small in their first autumn, so usually wait until they are in their second year. But I do not feed my lambs while they still have access to grass, and only little concentrate and lots of hay/haylage during the winter. They have a growth spurt in spring when the new grass comes in - and then I suddenly realise that the hoggets are as big as their mums!

I think also most poeple do not use tup lambs for tupping, as they are quite small and can be quite slow starters.

For eating they are at their best in their third summer, we keep some our (castrated) males for two winters (as companions for the tup), and they kill out at about 22 - 24 kgs. Fantastic slow roasted leg!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:36 pm »
I let my ewe lambs mature as I find it stands them in better sted as breeding ewes, if used to early the ewes growth can be affected depending on feed available. I have used ram lambs with no ill effect and with good results 100% fertility
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:02:46 am »
Ok, that makes a lot of sense, that's what I'm used to. Thank you :)

I suppose another advantage is that they'll eat less. I like the fact that you expect to wether some of the male lambs and keep them through, it solves the 'who will keep tup company' problem.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:05:16 am by jaykay »

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:54:10 pm »
If they are well grown you can put them to the tup as lambs, same as any other breed of sheep really.  I had 5 of my ewe hoggs lamb in July this year (tup escaped and got into them just for a few hours) and they popped them out and reared them no problem.  I'll be weaning the lambs shortly so the gimmers go back to the tup in November.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:39 pm »
More questions  :)

To what age might I keep Shetland breeding ewes on a hill farm? For example, my Roughs would go from here at 5-shear, though they might manage another couple of years on a farm lower down.

And what would I expect to pay for Shetland gimmer lambs, shearlings and ewes? And a good quality shearling tup?

(Someone is after getting his hands on my Rough money and I am after getting it tied up in sheep again quickly, but won't manage it instantly!)

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:58 pm »
I have Shetlands in their teens producing lambs off very poor quality grazing and looking well on it.  They should last longer than other breeds but you'd have to go through them and take out any losing their teeth.  I'd be surprised at Shetland ewes losing their teeth at 5 tho and their udders general are very good too.

I would expect to pay 40-50 for ewes, 30-40 for ewe lambs and my friend bought a 2 shear show winning tup recently for £80.  Not sure where you are located but if you can buy from Shetland direct you'd get tough sheep, or there are special Shetland sales at St Boswells in the coming weeks (probably not all pure Shetlands, will be sheep FROM Shetland, but bound to be plenty of Shetlands among them).

You can cross them with something like a North Country Cheviot and get better lambs but they will still pop them out, the lambs are tiny at birth, even the crosses.

Shetlands are tough and simple little sheep.  The only draw back with the breed is they escape for the sake of it, it doesn't matter what's on the other side, it could be moon dust, they will still escape if they can, gaps under the bottom wire or lack of rylock, you won't keep them in.  Oh and you need a good dog to get them in or make sure they are very petted and follow a bag.  They are greedy and quite easy to tame down.  Easier than Soays or Hebs I have found.

But, if your fences are not good, get some Hebs instead.  They are a bit dearer to buy but their horns will stop them escaping and you'd get a slightly better carcass from them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:23:19 am »
That's really helpful Corrie, thank you  :)

I've got drystone walls mainly which my goat kids love to run on.....probably small sheep will too  :P

I need a breed I can train to a bucket as my dogs are ex-pet Border collies and not trained. People seem to think i'll be able to do that with Shetlands? And I like the range of markings and colours they come in.

I can't find anything about Shetland sales at St Boswell - the one near Jedbergh? Do you have any more info?

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »
Yes the dykes will be good amusement for them  ;)

Give them a ring, there are two sales coming up soon that I heard about.  (Oops one was yesterday but there is one with 3000 store lambs in October too).

You will be able to bucket train them but might be easier if you had some old ewes to show them the ropes as well. 

Where about do you live and how many are you looking for?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 12:49:12 am »
I'm in Cumbria, nr the N Yorkshire border. I thought 10-12 initially.

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:09:42 am »
I will have various for sale once I've gone through them.  Could sell some in lamb to the NCC if you were interested.  Not registered tho.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »

I have 5 to go, they range in ages from 18 months to about 6 yrs. 3 are registered I am reluctant to send them to auction as I am told they will end up in a curry somewhere so if anyone is interested I am in the Borders near Eyemouth.
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:26:48 pm »
Hi Corrie, that's very kind of you, though I think I will probably go the registered route.

Went up to the Caledonian sale today, to look at all the different sheep. I liked the Hebrideans a lot too, if only they weren't all black (they are beautiful but you can't dye black fleece much). So Shetlands I think, but still in the process of selling the Roughs and thinking/getting organised.

My breeding flock (gimmer lambs, gimmers and ewes) went yesterday  :'( To good people though and the lambs and ewes to the same place, so that was nice  :) Old ladies go on Tues and tups in three weeks  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
My breeding flock (gimmer lambs, gimmers and ewes) went yesterday  :'( To good people though and the lambs and ewes to the same place, so that was nice  :) Old ladies go on Tues and tups in three weeks  :-\
:bouquet: :bouquet: {{{hugs}}}  :bouquet: :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:01:46 pm »
Thank you  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS