Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 2070 times)

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
Tagging
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »
Hi all,
We have recently bought two goats who have ear tags in, when we moved them to our current holding i didnt, tag their ears as we are going to be moving to our new small holding. my question is do i have to tag them with my current holding/ flock number and then re tag once we are at the new place? i am getting into a proper head spin with the tagging etc, what do you do with the original tags can they be taken out? help???  ???
Lea

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »
No , don't touch the original tags. and don't add any, just record them in your Livestock record book as they are. Your movement papers will then tally with your records when you are inspected. The only time you will need to re-tag is if the original is irretrievably lost, then you have to replace it with a red tag with the original no ,which is of course in your record book.
Any animals born on your holding you will  then tag with your herd/ holding no's. We got our record book free from the defra office , while the Welsh office charge £3:50p for the same book ! ....Daft ain,t it
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:09:09 pm by tizaala »

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:52 am »
If you lose a tag... and goats will !... you can replace with an identical tage to the one lost... it is not essential to replace with a red tag which would be a different number.
BUT you do need to record in the movement book/record that a tag has been replaced even if it is identical to the one lost.
With goats.. if registered.. it is better to replace with the original number because that is the one recorded in the British Goat Society system & serves as the goat's identity.  In the event she/they got out or were stolen for example, it would be easy to identify the owner by this method.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
thanks for the advice was in a proper head spin with it all but very clear advice given so thanks again  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS