Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advertising Standards Agency  (Read 7498 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Advertising Standards Agency
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:32:42 am »
See ASA have pulled a Tesco advert for Butchers' Choice sausages. ASA decided that the advert was misleading. Tesco are said to be confused :-)

Time to start on  misleading labelling now surely

Tesco Butcher's Choice Sausages Advert

robert waddell

Re: Advertising Standards Agency
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:36 am »
obviously it does not take much to confuse tesco      the farmer depicted in the advert DOES supply tesco with pork therfore the advert gives the impression of there sausages being from the idealic situation in the advert
in reality the sausages are made from a mixture of pork from different systems of rearing
tesco must think that they are in court on charges of stealing scrap instead of purposly missleading there customers :farmer:
what has happened to the spell check????? :-[

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:51:33 am »
I find it worrying that tescos should need to be told that advert was misleading. I find it even more worrying that people could possible be misled by that advert.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:29 am »
I think people could easily be mislead by this advert - especially if they want to believe it to salve their consciences

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
we have had this debate before rosemary on the ethics of what is good wholesome pork and where it comes from
if it is British it has been reared in the best situation far far better than eastern European pork it all comes back to the supermarkets and what they DICTATE in there contract when you sign up to them :farmer:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:37 am »
It all looked very idyllc - perfect pigs in perfect field, farmer making up a perfect bed for them, and that lovely scene of him walking down the lane with his nice, well behaved pigs .....people who are likely to buy these sausages are people who in all probability live in towns and cities.  And yes, they may see this nice advert and believe what they see - they are getting sausages from pigs who live a nice life with a nice farmer in the nice countryside :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:38 am »
So the complaint is : a packet of pork sausages showed a picture of a pig.
so people might be mislead into thinking that the farmer must have been cruel to his pig.
Should I therefore complain that when I sat in a shed on a beach and drank Australian lager I found myself unable to solve other peoples soscial problems? or that when Gabi eats a bowl of Special K and puts a red dress on she fails to materialise into Nigella Lawson.
Or that kids are growing up to believe that Cravendale cows walk about on their back legs DRINKING milk and playing darts, last time I bought a pack of lurpack butter I did not get a miniature trombonist called Douglas.

Who takes any notice of what is on the packet ,or in an advert , If you want pork sausages just ignore the immages buy pork sausages not beef or lamb, and if it helps to identify the product look at the pretty pictures. Have a happy period!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
last time I bought a pack of lurpack butter I did not get a miniature trombonist called Douglas.

Me neither!  (He said his name was Oliver.)   ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »
When i first saw this advert i was motified because the consumer will believe what it tells them that all Tesco's pork live happy little lives with a lovely farmer, when in reality they're B&B pigs reared in sheds albeit to high welfare standards but not free range as the ad suggests. Many of you will know that for years the GOS club have been fighting with Waitrose about their pork & bacon packaging and i'm glad to report that w're making significant progress. Sainsburys are also advertising 'outdoor bred' sausages and the consumer again will believe that the pork is reared outdoors free range when in reality they're born outdoors and then at 3 wks taken from their mom's and raised on straw in big barns.
The rules on advertising need to change just like the current debate on country of origin and sell by/use by dates.
The supermarkets will do whatever they can to make the consumer believe that their product is good and wholesome and had a lovely lovely life!!
Mandy  :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
It could be I am about to invite a pig to sing  ;), but let's see how I get on ...

We had a discussion this morning about how some consumers (probably most) believe that when they buy 'Aberdeen Angus Beef', 'Hereford Beef', 'Belted Galloway Beef', etc, they are getting pure-bred Angus, Hereford, whatever.  But that this is not the way farming or the meat markets work; they work purely on the breed of the bull that sired the beast.  Some of the slaughterhouses / supermarkets now insist on the pedigree details of the bull and will pay a premium where this is available, which is great for those of us using pedigree sires - but the mothers will still be any (and probably pretty much all) breeds (including ours.)

I've been thinking about it and am wondering... Would consumers want to be offered  'Aberdeen Angus Beef' and  'Pedigree Aberdeen Angus Beef'?  If so, would they pay the extra for the Pedigree?  (It would be significantly more expensive to produce, I think.)   I guess it already happens in that pedigree beef is probably sold at farmers' markets, and consumers at farmers' markets are there because they are willing to pay more for a (perceived) superior product.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »
tizaala i think you have missed the point of the complaint    it is not that a pig is on the packet
and neither is it about being cruel  it is the idyllic image portraid in the advert  and as Mandy has pointed out the supermarkets have to be kept in check with their adverts   give them an inch and they will take a mile  :farmer:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
Hi Robert,  No I didn't miss the point, this nanny state assumes that the average british housewife is gullable enough to believe everything she reads ( Hello magazine)  and sees on tele , the only food you can trust for quality is what you produce for your own table, the main criteria for the weekly shop now is ''how much is it ?''
 ''bugger the quality .... that one is reduced ...or ,buy one get one free . I cant afford quality I want a cheap bargain''. Yes the add men do a great job of selling the unattainable dream to the masses,  but anyone with half a braincell knows it's all a load of b*****ks. but it's home produced fresh from the idealistic sanitised farm b*****ks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:08:18 pm by Dan »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »
The point is that if details (in pictures or text) are put in to give an impression of the conditions that the animals are kept in, then to avoid being misleading, that needs to be substantially accurate, otherwise it is intentional or otherwise (in the supermarkets case almost always very intentional) misleading the consumer.

I take issue with the analogy to the Cravendale animated cows or the Lurpak butter trombone player, since it is because those are so clearly fantasy and animation that they do NOT mislead the consumer.

Im less concerned with this type of 'rosy tinted exaggeration' in other areas eg I dont suppose the Magners cider man really drives through all those buildings to get the Magners to the bottling plant. But in portrayal of the conditions in which animals are being kept I think advertisers have a duty not to deliberately mislead, which they did.

The same applies to the half bred animals that can be sold as a particular breed, the outdoor bred which people think at a glance means outdoor reared, the British meat that is anything but. All legal, but all designed to  deliberately mislead.

No, you cant stop some dim people still being misled with all the effort in the world BUT this is about deliberate attempts to do exactly that by large corporations who largely control many areas of the livestock industry . We are all intelligent literate cynical people and we see through it but lets not forget not everyone is so knowledgeable - and they still deserve protection from this deception.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »
bottom line is that sometimes people need protecting from those who would exploit them, whether that be the police protecting us from criminals or regulatory bodies protecting us from plutocratic organisations. Don't think that falls into the nanny state catagory.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:48:05 pm by MikeM »

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »
Having won this major victory for the more gullable members of the public, Do we now expect the ASA to tackle all the religous organisations for trying to sell us a non existant god? .... another man-made product that has failed spectacularly to live up to expectations .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS