Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you think about collars?  (Read 9879 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
What do you think about collars?
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »
Having recently been adopted by a stray cat and her feral kitten I am now being initiated into the world of cats.

The mum is clearly a house cat and must have been dumped, the kitten was possibly born in the wild or dumped hen he was very young. I am wining his confidence and can get him in the house but cant touch him yet.

I have read that life is tough for feral cats and that people treat them as vermin sometimes traping and shooting them. As a result I was thinking of putting a collar on mum at least as a way of showing that she is a pet.

In the info that I have read so fat their seems to be mixed oppinion on the pros and cons of a cat wearing a collar.

What do you guys think about it?

Buffy

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: What do you think about collars?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »
Tinker wore a collar when we first got him.  It was a collar that's meant to unclip if it gets caught.   I was concerned that he might get lost at first which is why I put it on him.  However after a few weeks one night he was out ages, then when he came back his collar was missing.  I assume he might have got stuck somewhere and since then he's never had one.

He is microchipped but of course you wouldn't notice that.  Anyway, my personal opinion is not to use a collar.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »
Difficult one this isn't it. Catch 22
If they wear a collar they can get caught up in it & at worst get hung.
But with a collar they can have a bell & warn the birds that they're coming.
I get really annoyed with cat owners who have a bird table & feed the birds - I'm afraid it's one of my things  >:(
I don't know much about these quick release collars & if they work etc. but obviously Cinderhills one barely did.
I don't keep a cat at the moment, but plan to get a feral kitten, when the next one becomes available, as a mouse catcher - so I'm really interested in this debate.
I probably wouldn't use a collar either.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:48 pm »
If there's a reason for your cat to wear a collar, then make sure it's one that has an elasticated bit so that if they do get caught up they can just pull out of it.  In my experience it is best to have a proper buckle (with a post that goes through a hole in the strap, ie, one that won't slip) or they get pulled off about once a week!

Reasons for your cat to wear a collar include:
  • to demonstrate that this cat has an owner
  • to hang a tag on with your phone number so you will be contacted if anything happens
  • a fluorescent silver one if you live somewhere where there is traffic and your cat could be on the road - especially if your cat is black or tabby or other dark colour (your black & white girl will be safer than an all-black cat)
  • to hang a note on to explain to the kind people who are (over)feeding your greedy boy that he has a home and is well-fed, just greedy, but has a dodgy hip and gets quite lame and sore when fat so please could they stop feeding him however cutely he asks ...  ::)
  • some people hang a bell on the collar in the belief that it warns birds and mice of the approach of a predator - in my experience the cat very quickly learns how to stalk without letting the bell ring but will also learn how to ring the bell to attract your attention (mine used to sit on the windowsill and ring his bell like a doorbell to let us know he was there and wanted to come in!) and/or to annoy you in the middle of the night

Buffy, welcome to a new world.  You know the saying, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff."?  100% accurate.  I do miss having a cat - but life does seem to be simpler now, somehow...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:05:16 am »
Personally I would say no collar, thats after having had a bad experience.

My cat went missing, nothing too unusual in the nice weather. However when it got to 4 days I was definitely worried.  Day 5 and the cat made it home on 3 legs.

Somehow she had got one of her front legs through the elasticated collar and it had 'eaten' into her underarm area and looked very nasty indeed. I cut the collar off and took her to the vets where she had to have an operation. It took some weeks to heal and cost me nearly £600. No more collars for my cat.

Sally 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:59:35 am »
Thanks everyone,

informative as ever. I think that I will skip the collar. I wouldnt manage to get one on the kitten anyway. Its taken me over a week to get his confidence back to where it was before he was traumatised by the RSPCA inspector. Hes still not sure about my OH ( mind you, neither am I some times :D)

They tend to stay around the house at present and my nearest neighbour knows that they are mine. I think the risks of a colar would be greater than the risk of them being persecuted.

Here is a pic of mum demonstrating just how hard life can be for a persicuted stray and her feral kittens.

Buffy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:01 am »
Lovely picture Buffy and she definitely looks to be having a hard time  ;D ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:48 am »
She really is a beauty.  Have you decided on names yet?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:38:50 am »
I really liked the name Polka that you suggested but she didnt respond so I have been trying polly. She has responded to Puss cat and Come on puss for so many weeks that I suppose its taking a while for her and me to get used to some thing else. She responds to "come on then" in the sort of high pitchesd singing voice that I used to use to call the horses along with a pat on my leg. Actually the hens respond to this too which makes feeding time a bit tricky. What a good job that OH is trained to the comand of "your tea's ready or it would be chaos!

She is a really great little cat. She is an effective hunter and regularly brings me a mouse to show me how she caught it. Though my lack of interest in having a go with it myself usually makes here tire of this idea and she eats the poor creature.

She likes to come in the house and sits quietly watching me potter about and chat to her. She dosent jump up on things and was very good after her op when she had to spend a night inside. She used her litter tray and went to sleep in a bed that I had made for her from a cardboard box as if she had always done so. She is great with the chickens and likes to come on adventures with me across our fields.

Her baby is responding to "Hello Baby" and "Tiny kitten" which is an avancement as he used to only respond to me if I mewed at him. I havent managed to think of a name that sounds similar yet.

Although I havent had Polka \ Polly for very long I think she is great. I can see how you must miss your cat Jasper very much. We make a much stronger connection with some animals than others and for those who have never known that special bond it can be hard to understand the feeling of loss .I hope that you can find that relationship again when you feel ready. Life certainly is easier without them but emptier too.

Thomas Hardy sums it up so much better than me.

Thomas Hardy – Last words to a dumb friend

Pet was never mourned as you,
Purrer of the spotless hue,
Plumy tail, and wistful gaze
While you humoured our queer ways,
Or outshrilled your morning call
Up the stairs and through the hall--
Foot suspended in its fall--
While, expectant, you would stand
Arched, to meet the stroking hand;
Till your way you chose to wend
Yonder, to your tragic end.

Never another pet for me!
Let your place all vacant be;
Better blankness day by day
Than companion torn away.
Better bid his memory fade,
Better blot each mark he made,
Selfishly escape distress
By contrived forgetfulness,
Than preserve his prints to make
Every morn and eve an ache.

From the chair whereon he sat
Sweep his fur, nor wince thereat;
Rake his little pathways out
Mid the bushes roundabout;
Smooth away his talons' mark
From the claw-worn pine-tree bark,
Where he climbed as dusk embrowned,
Waiting us who loitered round.

Strange it is this speechless thing,
Subject to our mastering,
Subject for his life and food
To our gift, and time, and mood;
Timid pensioner of us Powers,
His existence ruled by ours,
Should - by crossing at a breath
Into safe and shielded death,
By the merely taking hence
Of his insignificance--
Loom as largened to the sense,
Shape as part, above man's will,
Of the Imperturbable.

As a prisoner, flight debarred,
Exercising in a yard,
Still retain I, troubled, shaken,
Mean estate, by him forsaken;
And this home, which scarcely took
Impress from his little look,
By his faring to the Dim
Grows all eloquent of him.

Housemate, I can think you still
Bounding to the window-sill,
Over which I vaguely see
Your small mound beneath the tree,
Showing in the autumn shade
That you moulder where you played.

Buffy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »
I like Thomas Hardy.  When I read some modern poets I think, "Yeah, I can do that," and think myself a bit of a poet.  When I read Thomas Hardy and Dylan Thomas I am awed and reminded just what poetry is.  (And no, I can't do that.  Nowhere near.)

That's a beautiful expression of the life and loss of a loved pet.  Thank you for posting it.   :bouquet:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »
What a lovely photo. She looks so relaxed and content.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:01:04 am »
Thanks Cinderhills,

she seems much more relaxed since her op and the burden of caring for her kittens has been lifted. She has gained weight and stopped eating quite so much now shes not feeding kittens. She dosent care for the complete food that I give her and prefers the tins. She eats what she kills and kills just about daily. Shes very playful and enjoys a game of chase on an evening.

Her cough had disapeared but she was doing alot of throat clearing today. I hope its just a fur ball.

I'm trying the name Toby for the kitten as it sounds a bit like baby which hes got used to. I think the kitten may have ear lice like his mum had but as I have been advised to only trap him once, he will have to wait for a couple of months till he goes for the snip. A wormer would be a good idea for both of them if I can get it past their super suspicious sence of smell.

Buffy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:59 am »
Some cats like Marmite.  If Toby does, he may not notice his wormer powdered in Marmite.  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:17 am »
Yep, you're hooked  :) Lovely cat, though. I thnk you can now say your cat owns you  :cat: :cat:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:21 am »
Buffy I think I have just noticed that Polly has black pads?

I haven't mentioned this before but she has an amazing resemblence to my first cat, Mixture.  I rescued him and his brother Matchless (together they were Mix & Match) as young kittens, not properly weaned, had been taken in to the vet to be destroyed. 

Mix was an amazing individual and taught me a lot - not just about cats!  Unusually for a black-and-white cat with a white mask and white legs, he had black eye-rims, a black nose and black pads on his feet.  It made him very striking and beautiful - most people thought he must be a female as he was so pretty.

I read once that european cats have pink pads (whatever their coat colour) and that black pads are a sign of eastern blood.  So I always thought of Mix as half Burmese, and ever since, apart from one rescue and another cat that was a present, I have sought out half-oriental cats.  They are very very good hunters (although actually Mix was an exception to this - he had too much energy and too little patience for all the sitting still!), extremely sociable with people and in fact any other family members including dogs, highly intelligent, affectionate and loyal.  But as kittens, until you know how to handle them, they can be absolute MONSTERS!   :D  (In fact I ever so nearly gave Mix away before he was full-grown - oh, I was so glad I persevered!)

From your stories Polly is clearly a lovely cat who has found her forever home in your heart.  I wonder if Toby will be a little monster...  ;) :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS