Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs (weaners) wont eat grain..  (Read 7051 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Pigs (weaners) wont eat grain..
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:27:37 pm »
My two Tamworth weaners (9weeks old) wont eat any of the grain I give them (rolled barley, Rolled oats), I have even tried giving them distillers and they wont touch it either. The will eat apples, Potatoes and old bread. They are in last years vegetable garden and are rooting it up to beat the band, they seem to be eating the roots, but are ignoring the turnips, brussel sprouts etc. Should i be concerned as they seem very happy? They appear to have eaten pig nuts from the last breeder, are they just making the transition from indoors to outdoors?

Morgan  :farmer:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Pigs (weaners) wont eat grain..
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:24:31 pm »
Morgan,

If you have a garden shredder (clean) shred the veg with it and mix in the grain. Ours won't eat turnips or potatoes but they do once it's all been shredded and mixed.

Cheers

Gavin

DavidnChris

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »
So, am I right in thinking that you are giving them grain that has been used to make beer?
This is something I was wondering if I could do when I get two Saddlebacks in about 2 weeks time when the farm comes off standstill.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »
Re: Distillers found this article on-line  http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/ , apparently distillers can  be used as a dietary suppliment. Distillers "can be included
at up to 30% of the diet of growing pigs without detrimentally affecting growth
performance".

Gavin is there any chance I could bring up some turnips and potatoes on Saturday and shred them in your machine? I'd like to see if it works before having the financial outlay...especially if it doesn't work for mine. If you don't mind i'd really appreciate it.

Morgan   :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:46 am »
Morgan have you tried mixing a handful of propriatary pig nuts in with the grain, just until they get used to the change of diet

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:08:58 am »
I know its different species but i would always change diets gradually in dogs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:50:45 am »
I'm going to try both, god willing, shredded veg...and pig nuts and grain. Thanks for the advice. What about making up some sort of porridge...would that be more appealing?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:02 am »
Never yet met a pig that did not love porridge

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:47:04 pm »
That's just what I was hoping to hear! Now if I can convince my good lady wife to give me a big pot!
 :)

DavidnChris

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:01:58 pm »
Re: Distillers found this article on-line  http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/ , apparently distillers can  be used as a dietary suppliment. Distillers "can be included
at up to 30% of the diet of growing pigs without detrimentally affecting growth
performance".

WHOOOOSH !  thats the sound of the above article going straight over my head.
Can anybody put it in simple terms?

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 05:45:01 pm »
yeah... if they will eat it ???? feed it them   :o ::) ;D....I looked at the web site link ... I heard the same WHOOOOOSH you did..... ::) ;D ;D....I do feel a bit fick at times...... :o On a serious note though , I used to look after pigs on a farm , and the farmer used to get distillers grains/mash and feed it to the pigs , they loved it . They still had other food too . No bagged food , just stuff grown on the farm . Mind you I swear they got pi....er drunk sometimes !!!!

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:50:00 pm »
I'm not pig farming long enough to explain it right, I assume it can make up 1/3 of their feed to sort of pad it out, without affecting their growth...but i'm open to correction. I should ask my father in law...he delights in telling me when i'm wrong. (in-law...more like outlaw!)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 08:04:05 am »
Ideally they should have at least 1 kilo of pig nuts a day, plus all the other stuff which makes up the other 160 grammes of protein.  Pig nuts can be substituted for grain although I think it is necessary to know the protein content of whatever you are feeding them.  They also need all the vitamins and trace elements, a lot of which they will get from the soil or from other feeds.  Not being very up in nutrition not explaining this too well. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:39:06 am »
significantly better then me, though!

Morgan  :farmer: (smiling again!)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:07:09 pm »
Thanks Morgan, thats extremely kind  :D :D :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS