Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem getting on the forum!!  (Read 4757 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Problem getting on the forum!!
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:19:56 am »
Help from someone more technical that me would be appreciated!!

I had this problem last night, but assumed it was a technical glitch with a new website, but still happening.

I logged on here early this morning ok - then when I came back again, it was the screen we saw yesterday when the website was being changed, and I was a guest, and it would not let me log in.  I have the forum stored in my favourites, so thought maybe it was trying to go to the old website or something .....so found the TAS  website and tried that, still same maintenance page showing.

Therefore, if I leave the forum now, it looks like the problem will be there when I try to come back.  Much as I would like to stay on here all the time, sadly there are 101 jobs round the farm to do on my day off work ;D

Can anyone explain (in simple terms!) what is the problem and what I can do to get back to being able to come on here as I always have!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Problem getting on the forum!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:34 am »
Roxy,
I am definitely not technical so can't answer your questions but just wanted to say I am having similar issues.
Stangely enough when I am using the pc at work (shhhs don't tell anyone) everything is ok.
Now I am wondering if I need to change any settings on the pc at home.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:27:36 pm »
happening to me too :(

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:41:44 pm »
there have been a few glitches which are standard when changing server. I would just give Dan a bit of time to work on this as any server work can get tedious.

Another glitch that has been showing itself over the day is that some pages are opening in a new window, this seems to have calmed down but may happen again whilst everything settles.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:56:25 pm »
Really sorry some people are experiencing problems. Most of these will be due to the fact that as well as launching the new site we also moved to a new server with a different host.

In simple terms, the internet works because the locations of every website on the web are stored in an address book (the DNS - domain name system). When you access a website your browser 'looks up' the domain name (e.g. accidentalsmallholder.net) in the address book, and gets told which server on the internet to go to.

To keep things quick, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will maintain a copy of this address book (DNS).

The problem is that some ISPs  are better at keeping their local copies up to date that others. So those of you who are experiencing problems are being directed to the old location of the website, and will get errors or an old copy of the site.

What can you do? Two options:

1. Wait until your ISP catches up with the rest of the world. It should never take more than 48 hours for this to happen.

2. You can choose not to use your ISP's DNS and use something like Google's Public DNS. This requires you to configure your browser or router - if you're not comfortable doing this ask a techie to do it for you.  :)

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to help speed things along.  :(

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »
Another glitch that has been showing itself over the day is that some pages are opening in a new window, this seems to have calmed down but may happen again whilst everything settles.

If this happens again can you let me know which links please? Some external site links will open in a new tab/window by design, but all internal links should not.

Thanks!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
[[/quote]

If this happens again can you let me know which links please? Some external site links will open in a new tab/window by design, but all internal links should not.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hunni, this has now settled I love changing servers I am in the middle of changing a server at work and also trying to defrag an EXC server and reboot and it is not playing, probably going to be a long evening :'(

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:30 pm »
Hunni, this has now settled I love changing servers I am in the middle of changing a server at work and also trying to defrag an EXC server and reboot and it is not playing, probably going to be a long evening :'(

Poor you! (sounds like you love it really though  :D )

Keep popping in here, we'll keep you sane.  :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »
I found it a problem yesterday but then I retyped the address into the search bar instead of calling it from the memory then just to make sure I logged in again with my name and password, end of problem.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32:16 pm »
AOL seems to be the problem on mine.  Now that I have typed the web address directly into internet explorer I am getting the new forum in all its glory.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS