Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cut hoof too short  (Read 4635 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
cut hoof too short
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:27 am »
hey guys.
as some of you may know, i work at a special needs school with a smallholding. we have been trimming the ewe's feet ready for tuping, but one of the students cut the hoof a bit too low and made it bleed. i put powder on to stop the bleeding but she is limping quite badly. what would you suggest? i'm worried about her picking up some infection through the cut, is that likely? it's her front right. thanks.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: cut hoof too short
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:46:57 pm »
Unless it is really horrific I would give it a good squirt of purple spray to help guard against infection and keep an eye on her for a day or two.  I suspect it may be a lot better by then.  Good Luck.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »
Ditto     Just keep it sprayed with antibacterial spray she be ok

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:48:12 pm »
good to hear, thanks guys, thats exactly what i did do.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
Occasionally a toe that has been cut too short will form a granuloma. Keep an eye open for it - once it has forned though, there isn't really anything you can about them.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:48:00 pm »
I think with respect that you may be jumping to conclusions.  I have a son with special needs and I would not quibble for a moment with a description of a child or young adult with a severe disorder on the autistic spectrum being described as unpredictable but I have in the past worked fairly extensively with children with special needs in a professional capacity and many would certainly not fit that description at all.  Bear in mind also please that children with special needs are frequently in school until they reach the age of 18.  I have cut the hoof too short before now and I certainly don't fall into the category of unpredictable and untrained. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »
I am absolutely all for everyone doing as much as they possibly can and I know how wonderful allotments, smallholdings and farm work can be for special needs people.

I think Worzel Gummidge expressed a valid concern eloquently and with sensitivity. 

The law is not explicit, but does refer to foot paring as 'a skilled procedure'.

I would not expect fully-abled children to be paring live sheep's feet unless it were part of an authorised agricultural course / qualification / apprenticeship and being conducted under the close supervision of a fully qualified shepherd / veterinarian.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
hello all.

worzel - i completely understand your concern and no offence whatsover has been taken, you made your point very diplomatic way.

the student in question isn 18 and has just begun a agriculture NVQ level 2, after completing level 1. I agree with you that only those with sufficient training should be taking on such a task, and the amount of people I would trust to work with my sheep can be counted on one hand.

accidents do happen, and we can only make sure we learn from them.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:20 pm »
I kind of though the same as Worsel but didnt say anything because everybody makes mistakes. I have made lots and lots of them. My late father once said if there was a hardway to learn then I would do it. usualy folks only make a mistake once and learn by them. Remember nobody is perfect as long as they try to be.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:07 pm »
 I agree with big Chicken you don't become a skill stockman/woman from reading books/internet forums(sorry Dan!) / watching it on TV or watching others do it. You learn from bending your back over and trying to do things yourself, you learn from your mistakes and get on and do it better next time.

I think its a little over reactive to ban any person from doing anything they make a mistake at whether they be less or more abled. We need to be carefull with livestock husbandry however we should not be in a place wheres the Nanny state beckons!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS