Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nesting boxes.  (Read 748 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Nesting boxes.
« on: February 19, 2024, 09:26:59 pm »
I bought a wee nesting box of Amazon a couple of weeks ago for blue tits. My OH asked why I had bought it when he could make for me. Never thought any more of it but today we hung up 4 boxes, I was quite surprised as 2 are multi story. ( 3 nest in each box. ) he did some research and found a plan on the internet. So hoping the birds move in. Over the winter I put in a small wildlife pond as we have frogs and toads. It is small, just a preformed pond shell but I am sure it will do the job. I feed a lot off birds over the winter and this year quite a few doves have joined in for breakfast.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Nesting boxes.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 10:30:22 pm »
Well done, every little helps.  :thumbsup: :bouquet:  Bet he never thought of making one before you bought it  :innocent:

I just have a tiny box water feature, but I've bought a couple of plants for it and some water cress to help get it clear.  I have a pump but I tried all last year to set it so it wouldn't just empty the pond.  I'll try again when i switch it back on later in the year

Another gift from my kids was two bug boxes - screwed to the back fence, south facing.  Haven't seen anything going in and out but fingers crossed. 

I haven't put up nest boxes yet but I've been thinking about one in the big rhododendron as there loads of birds and I feed them from my balcony.
Might just try to charm 'someone' (tame gardener, local tree surgeon, son, grandson etc etc  :roflanim:  to dig a big hole out in the orchard for a bigger wildlife pond

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 06:43:03 pm »
I was thinking of bug boxes too. I have a pond for my fish but it is above ground and 2ft 6ins deep so no frogs can get in. has a large net over the top to keep the Heron off. It is a bit like a cage I bought some new pond plants last April from my local garden centre and in the summer I went out one morning to find a Dragonfly. Never had one here before so I expect it came with the new pond plants. I would like an owl box but there is nowhere safe to put it that the cats could not get too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 11:38:16 am »
No problem with cats here - two exuberant brittanys and 5 foot fencing all round keeps them at bay,  :roflanim: :roflanim: so I might try an owl box. Although maybe my rhoddy isn't tall enough.

I had an above ground garden pond with fish in it when I built my house up north.  It was quite successful.  Couldn't move it unfortunately and I think my pal who bought the house lost all the fish
Might think of that instead of a dug in one - would be easier to install although not cheaper
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 12:29:04 am »
Nest boxes really are well used.  We have 35 around the smallholding, mainly for blue tits and great tits (different hole size, and some for blackbirds/robins. Other birds nest in the great tit ones too and occasionally Bumble Bees. We don't have a suitable barn or a large enough tree away from the road for an owl box although I would love one.
We have just finished the annual cleanout of all the nest boxes and found that only 2 were not used last year (I think they are too close to each other).
The best boxes I have found are the RSPB ones.  I'm just waiting for some trees to grow a bit bigger before putting up another 6 - yep, I'm obsessive! You can buy metal hole protectors to limit which birds can get in and to prevent woodpeckers widening the hole to get at the chicks.

Well done for putting up boxes but be warned where it can take you  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 02:51:12 pm »
RSPB Artisan ones look nice - and if you buy three there's no postage - roughly £14 to £16 each. Postage is about £4 so worth paying for an extra one
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:53:56 pm by doganjo »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 07:35:02 am »
We have about 12 so far. All bar one used last year. Dan made them from scrap wood and old wellie rubber :love:
We have an owl box. There might still be one on the barn but the cats used to sleep in it. We picked a tree for the box then it blew down in a storm  :o and w ehaven't identified another one. Maybe this year.
We have a bug box - it might have come with the owl box - but tbh we have loads of natural "bug homes". I'm dying to get out and tidy up the garden but can't until they've woken up.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 09:16:28 am »
We've had tit boxes for years, but last year my husband was given a bat box and a swift box for his birthday. The problem has been where to site them. We have decided on a spot for the swift box - high up on the house facing east - but have struggled to find somewhere for the bat box. We live on top of a windy hill and everywhere seemed too exposed. Then the other day my husband was rummaging in a stable looking for a hi vis jacket (we are currently on toad patrol) and found a bat sleeping in it. So now we think maybe putting the bat box inside one of the stables will work?? The top door of the stable can be left open. We leave one stable door open all the time anyway as swallows nest in there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS