Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigin 'eck  (Read 6039 times)

DavidnChris

Pigin 'eck
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »
This gets more complicated the further you go into it !
Sorted out various problems as detailed in my subject 'Daft question from a newbie' so now the Arc is in the field ready to be built. So next problem.
We have a stream running through the field and my idea was to take water from the stream - either by bucket or by filling a tank at the stream and piping it from the tank to the pig area. Probably by bucket at first. The stream water is very clean and flows very quickly, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you had to water pigs with water that had been chlorinated ie tapwater. Is this right? Do any of you use streams as a natural water supply, wouldn't it be better?
Still haven't solved the problem of getting the pigs to the field, there is no way they are going in the back of the car!!  Trailer wanted!
Good news is one of the ladies at a neighbouring house is pleased I'm getting pigs, she spotted the arc. Haven't told the others yet, can't wait to see their faces.

HappyHippy

Re: Pigin 'eck
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:21:44 pm »
Hi,
I've only had a couple of weaners myself so not as experienced as some of the other members, but I'd not heard the bit about chlorine.
Both ours had water straight from the kitchen tap (I'm in Scotland where I know the water is 'softer' but it's still treated) we didn't notice any problems with the pigs or the taste of the meat. I wouldn't relish the thought of getting it by bucket from the stream !
I also have to confess to actually bringing mine home in the back of my car  :-[ - in my defence, I couldn't wait to get them home, it was a company car, there were only 2, they were only little and I had lined it with plastic and a good bit of straw - but it did stink to the high heavens for a few days ! When the time came to take them to the abbetoir we borrowed a trailer from a neighbouring farmer in exchange for some meat after the deed had been done - it might be worth checking around to see if anyone would do a trade like that for you.
Good luck & hope you get them soon  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
We have a stream running through which the pigs have been known to meander down (great escape route).  We dont use water from the stream because the local farmers use nitrates, fertiliser and other stuff, which washes into the stream when it floods.  We dont want to contaminate the meat.  We always use local chlorinated tapwater.  Seems ok.  If you do want to water them from the stream it is best to have the water tested before hand.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »
Hello,

We try to use rain water where possible - often collected via guttering fitted to the arcs which empties into a trough. If you use tap water you could run the risk of being metered for agricultural use which becomes very expensive.
If you have an engineering mindset you could use a hydraulic pump to pump water from the stream to the pigs (i.e. the force of the water in the stream powers the pump so no mains is required).
Spend some time with the little fellas first and get their trust and more importantly let them know their food comes from you - you'll soon have them following you wherever you want.

Cheers

Gavin

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »
I wouldn't trust water from the stream either,you never know what's died and lying in it upstream,and as HM mentioned,chemicals. Mine were watered through collected rainwater in barrels being diverted into a sink.The barrels can always be topped up from the tap if need be,but then again,I live in Normandy and lack of rainfall isn't a problem.
As for transport,I'd risk putting them in a dog cage in the back of the car and drive with the windows open. Vicks Vapo rub smeared under yer nose helps too!
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:38 pm »
nervous pigs :pig: :o the last lot i took in th car smelled a bit. but it soon went. I know someone who lets there pigs drink from a stream, and even divert it through pipes to other livestock, i think they have had it tested.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:11 pm »
We take our water from a well, but we got it tested first. We own most of the fields around us so we don't spread slurry, or fertilise artificially. I think Gavins idea for catching rainwater in guttering is excellent though. Maybe you could try it and top up with tap water when required. It might save you repeated trips to the stream....you might end up with one arm longer than the other!

We have just finished a farrowing shed, and I was faced with having to pipe the rainwater through the field into a drain...thanks to gavins idea that problem is now solved . This really is a brilliant forum for picking up ideas. We knew nothing about pigs when we joined, and we still have loads to learn, but this place is just loaded with info. It's great to have so many friendly people willing to share their experiences and ideas. My hat is off to you all!  :farmer:

DavidnChris

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:32 pm »
Thanks all for your comments, I did think about rainwater but felt that would be not as clean as the stream, the stream comes straight off the Lakeland Fells so I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem with nitrates in it. As regards rainwater we get our fair share at times around here, but not as much as Gloucester and Humberside got!!
Trailer wise I've got a dealer telling me that I won't lose on a small one because they are in such popular demand, I seem to remember a car salesman telling me the same thing once before.
Thanks for the suggestion about Vick under the nose, sorry to say I'm still not convinced, the farm where the Saddlebacks     ( or as my daughter calls them Sticklebacks ) are to come from is on hold at the minute for the 20 days because a pig has been delivered so I have a little while to solve my delivery dilemma.
Hopefully once we have them things will fit into place and it'll all become clear as mud, pun intended.
Keep posting your views and ideas are really welcome to us novices.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
Sticklebacks. ;D

DavidnChris

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »
Not too sure where to put this bit because I've been onto that many topics for advice but hopefully the right people will read it.
Thank you to those who replied to my questions and other comments. The pigs (Saddlebacks) came this morning, the chap I bought them off delivered which was a relief, the two of them came out the trailer and promptly set off up the field ahead of his wife who had the bucket of food and more or less straight into their new home. Gate shut job done, what were all the sleepless nights for?
So here I am at the bottom of what will no doubt be a steep learning curve.
Thank you all again, no doubt I'll be back in a day or two when the first problem arises.

David (and Christine).

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »
Now starts the first day of the rest of your life, and what an exciting, interesting, muddy and enjoyable one it will be with pigs.

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:44:05 am »
I hate to tell you that getting them to you will be one of the easiest parts of pig husbandry. keeping them contained and the mud manageable will be testing, then there is getting them off when they are big and strong and stubborn. Not being negative as I totally love pigs, by far the best livestock animals to keep. They are very intelligent, fascinating and great entertainers, it just gets harder the more rain you have. then when you eat them you know you never want to go back to shop bought pork again. If you are brave you might even get an in-pig sow and then you are following the route of so many before you, don't think many of us regret the first weaners brought home. Life as a pig owner is  satisfying, but not the easiest.I would take time to train your pigs whilst they are smaller, a pig that is used to being moved is a bonus when it comes to d-day. Have you got anywhere to move them to if it gets really muddy,could you strip graze them in their original pen, have you got access to them in a mud free space if you should need a vet .will it be xmas dinner you are raising, have you got anyone near you with a trailer as yes they hold their value but aren't a cheap purchase and then they need to be stored safely away from theives. The more thought that goes into these weaners the more you will be rewarded. Have you names your sticklebacks? Have you got any photos to share with us? Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:25 am »
If possible borrow a trailer for a few days at a time.  Leave the trailer parked in the field stabilised so pigs can go in and out.  Put feed in a bucket next to ramp.  Then on ramp, then inside trailer.  After a week they will think of the trailer as a wonderful place.

On the night before slaughter thickly straw out trailer.  Put a little feed in trailer.  Shut the door when they are inside.  Use rubber buckets. 

DavidnChris

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:11:51 am »
Thanks Buddy for all your encouragement !!
If things get too bad where they are I've got plenty of ground to put them on and let the first bit rest.
I got them Sunday and today Tuesday they met me at the gate of their enclosure, I make them follow me to the other end of the enclosure give them a bit of feed and then back again for the rest of the food.
Slipped up with the trailer because I filled in the cheque stub -- now Christine knows how much it cost, or as she said HOW MUCH ????  It was expensive but I'll use it for other stuff I'm sure. I hope to get them trained a bit to go in there easily.

I'm in Cumbria and I've got to say my experience of farmers here isn't that they would lend you a trailer, most have big sheep trailers anyway. My field is a bit difficult as, like all fields here, it's quite steep which is why I had sleepless nights about getting the pigs up to where they are housed. After reading some of the experiences on here I envisaged them taking off the minute their feet touched the ground.

Haven't named them, they are just pigs. If I did name them they would be Polly and Tichen, I think that would be appropriate as they have their noses well and truly in the trough.

The pic. shows them about an hour after they got into the enclosure and as you can see they have it well dug up. They were born Nov.5th so are a bit older than normal but I figure that's not all bad, the reason I chose them is they were running about in a wood at their previous home.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:13:54 am by DavidnChris »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS