Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: transplanting self seeding trees  (Read 5431 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
transplanting self seeding trees
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »
I would like to run some sheep and pigs in a 4 acre wood. Could anyone tell me how and when would be the best time to move these young trees from a mature wood to form a new shelter belt between 2 new fence lines.The trees are beech elm and oak, with some hawthorn seedlings also, the sizes are between 1 and 2 feet.Thanks

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: transplanting self seeding trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:46 pm »
I'm not quite sure I understand  ??? sorry.

Are the livestock to be in the mature wood?

If so you certainly need to move the young trees first.

The sheep will nip the tops & strip the bark and the pigs will probably dig them up.

It may be advicable to put individual tree guards round the young ones too as any escapee, wild rabbits or deer could devastate your crop overnight.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:30:36 pm »
I would like to run some sheep and pigs in a 4 acre wood. Could anyone tell me how and when would be the best time to move these young trees from a mature wood to form a new shelter belt between 2 new fence lines.The trees are beech elm and oak, with some hawthorn seedlings also, the sizes are between 1 and 2 feet.Thanks
You can move them anytime when the leaves are off so over winter - this is the safest time for bare root planting, and they are an ideal size.  As well as the double fencing you will need to keep the weeds down for the first couple of years.  When you dig up the seedlings, put them straight into a sack to protect the roots from drying out in the wind - it happens very quickly.  It all sounds good although I agree that you should protect the mature trees from the livestock - sheep will strip bark enough to kill the trees but chicken wire wrapped around will help - remember to keep it loose as the trees continue to grow
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife - if this wind keeps up the leaves will be off by the end of the week?? I am hoping that running upto 4 sheep, they won,t strip the bark?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »
Ooh - this is a good thread. I've noticed that some of last year's wind fall apples seem to have grown into seedlings. They are about a foot high and very spindly.

Should I leave them for another year? or transplant them somewhere else this winter?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS