Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Trimming Stands  (Read 4472 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Sheep Trimming Stands
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:45:31 pm »
I would love one but the prices are making me turn pale, especially for the full stands.

Anyone have any experience of the type that fix to hurdles please?  I know they aren't cheap either but I might just manage to justify asking OH for one for Christmas whereas I can't ask for a full stand at those prices.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Sheep Trimming Stands
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »
You mean a head stock?

They are quite useful but you will always be working below your natural level which will not be good for your back. They are much more portable than a full trimming stand though.

We were lucky and got our trimming stand on the cheap from the local agricultural college where the mech students had made it as a practical assesment.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: Sheep Trimming Stands
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:12 pm »
Yes sorry couldn't think of the right word.

I think I am just going to have to keep my eyes open round the various machinery sales and keep my fingers crossed a second hand stand turns up.  I think you are right and a head stock will murder my back even more than shifting sheep did this year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS