Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help: Pig advice needed  (Read 6418 times)

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
Help: Pig advice needed
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »
Hi All

I wonder if anyone could help with a couple of questions

1. How much should we expect a butcher to charge to butcher and how much would we charge for selling the butchered meat?

2. Fencing: Best place to buy and best type for fencing in 1/2 acre?  There is already fencing in place but it is post and wire.

3. Abattoir: Recommended local one?

4. Butcher: Recommended local one?  Do you know if the butchers are interested in buying locally produced meat?

5. Pig Arcs: Best buys / makes / advice.

Many thanks

Lu  ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Help: Pig advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »
Hi, Lu

We put some cost in the Articles on the website. We use DS Stevenson at Dunblane to slaughter (£25 / pig) - it's small and as friendly as these places are, if you're not a pig! Stevenson's delivers to lots of butchers in the Central belt. Our last ones went to HW Irvine (aka Porky Irvine) in Blairgowrie. He made our sausages and bacon too as we just didn't have time - and very good they are too. (£50/pig plus extra to slice bacon and make sausages, due to the price of natural casings)

We charge £3/lb for a half pig, which is probably underselling a bit. We've never had enough to approach a butcher - unless you're planning to sell a lot, you will be able to shift it privately. I think most butchers will want a regular supply - but I may be wrong.

Lots of posts about fencing and arcs so won't repeat here.

We should get ours in April - if you want to go with me to pick them up, PM me.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »
Hello,

We pay £25 per pig (inc delivery to a cutter). The cutter charges us £40 to cut, pack and cure. We expect to sell a whole pig for £300-£350 (in it's packaged & cured form) dependent on weight of the pig. We sell our meat from between £6.50 to £10 per kilo dependent on cut. Selling a pig direct to a butcher gets us around £150-£160 which is effectively selling at a loss as they don't want to pay much above a commercial pig price.
For electric fencing we buy from Rappa  (www.rappa.co.uk) and have an effective stockproof boundary fence in case of power cuts etc.
Pig arcs are so easy to make yourself either with pallets and corrugated steel or treated timber and often work out far cheaper as well. The ones I build I've posted to our website  - www.macneanfarm.com/pig_ark.pdf   - I generally get one built for around £250 (providing you've got a decent timber yard nearby and you're not paying DIY store timber prices).

Cheers

Gavin

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:30 am »
Do you have any local farmers markets near you?  Could you approach someone who sells on one to take on your excess pork?

Once you can offer a regular amount you will probably find word of mouth is all you need.

We are competing against the 2 euros a kilo cardboard on promo in the supermarkets as against our 8-12 euros a kilo.

Our butchering costs are less though 30 euros for supermarket and the same for the butcher. 

If you intend to make your own sausages, go for the best heaviest mincer you can find.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:19 am »
Hillarysmum, what do you think of the mincers on http://www.sausagemaking.org/ ? I was going to opt for the cheaper one, but would that be a false economy? Do you know of any other sites that sell more reasonably priced mincers?  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:39 pm »
They are good but expensive.  I think you may find them cheaper elsewhere, not sure where though.  If you are in uk, I believe there are places that sell second hand butchery equipment.  If no one on here knows try the River Cottage Website farmers market, ask on there.  Buy the best you can afford, if you are going to be doing lots.  Also for a sausage stuffer try lakeland, we got the stainless stell one, which is superb.

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »
Have you tried e-bay?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:03:19 pm »
Yup found some great ones on ebay and at http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/mincers-c-26.html?gclid=CM3NtcGT9pgCFQFhQgodWVNJ1Q .  Thanks for the help

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:01 pm »
Check out these at Northern Tools we have one of their mincers and Sausage stuffers and find them excellent. http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=604005E     http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?category=Food+Preparation&subcategory=Electric+Meat+Grinders

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:53 pm »
Which one did you buy dave? do you just make sausages for home or to sell. I kinda want something substantial to look after family and friends...but price is a big factor, recession and all!

Thanks
Morgan  :farmer:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:46:24 pm »
I bought a mid range/ cheap one from ascott, and it has been adequate for my needs so far. minces and fills sausages quite nicely. ( @£48 if I remeber correctly).
I buy my skins a nd other stuff from weschenfelders, they seem ok.
sausage making is great fun and entertains my 7 year old , watching me produce great coils of the stuff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS