Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herdwicks coming to Kent tomorrow !!  (Read 6609 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Herdwicks coming to Kent tomorrow !!
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:51 pm »
We have found 7 Herdwick ewe lambs at the Baylham rare breeds farm in Suffolk, I have to admit all of us really liked them so we have brought them and we are collecting them tomorrow, I think we maybe the only people in kent with herdwicks unless i can be corrected !! They will also breed us an unrelated tup for next season which will be great, very accomadating people and very helpful well worth a visit if your ever in suffolk, I also have a couple of Norfolk Horn ewes, and they have said we can borrow one of there NH Tups later this year if we wanted. The Home made cakes are to die for in the tea rooms .
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Herdwicks coming to Kent tomorrow !!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »
Herdwicks always remind me of rather large lassies out on a Friday night in a little black dress and who are determined it should be as short as their friends even tho their legs are well.....Chunky :-))))))

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:16 pm »
Herdwicks always remind me of rather large lassies out on a Friday night in a little black dress and who are determined it should be as short as their friends even tho their legs are well.....Chunky :-))))))
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:30 pm »
After a long day and 200miles we have got them back, they are certainly a very differant sheep !!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:46:54 pm »
I like these sheep.  Your other sheep are probably saying "Whatever breed are you?!"

Had to smile at your description of the Herdwicks.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:49:08 pm »
That descripption was from lachlandmarcus and so very true !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09:05 am »
Aren't they lovely  ;D I just love their faces and little chunky legs  :)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:38:55 am »
You are so lucky!  I love Herdwicks, and have just got back into keeping them in Scotland, but am finding it hard to get really nice ones at the moment.  Had a very bad experience with the first ones I bought from the mart a couple of years ago, and it's made me a bit dubious of buying from there again.  I've only got the two at the moment and would like to borrow a tup this year, as buying one isn't worth it yet.  If not, they'll have to go to the Shetland or the Lleyn.  Maybe I'll put one to each tup and see what sort of lambs I get.  Rather breed them pure though.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:45:05 am »
Where in Scotland are you? We bought ours from Dickinsons of Kentmere (Lake District) and they're prize winners - very good stock as well as nice people  :)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »
here they are over the weekend

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:43 am »
You are so lucky!  I love Herdwicks, and have just got back into keeping them in Scotland, but am finding it hard to get really nice ones at the moment.  Had a very bad experience with the first ones I bought from the mart a couple of years ago, and it's made me a bit dubious of buying from there again.  I've only got the two at the moment and would like to borrow a tup this year, as buying one isn't worth it yet.  If not, they'll have to go to the Shetland or the Lleyn.  Maybe I'll put one to each tup and see what sort of lambs I get.  Rather breed them pure though.

Why don't you contact Ruth Dalton, the northern Field Officer for the Rare Breed Survival Trust? The RBST is keen to establish flocks of Herdwicks away from the Lakes because they are geographically isolated and therefore vulnerable to disease outbreaks. Ruth might be able to help on that basis. Her email is ruth@rbst.org.uk

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:52 pm »
Thanks for the contact, we contacted ruth and will get them registered over the coming months, .....another learning curve.....

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »
Were you able to register the ewes or just the ram?
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »
I am a complete novice as regards to Herwicks and I am asking the same question as I believe you only can register the tups !! something I will have to look into.....anyone know?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »
What a lovely flock of girls you have there Andy!  they will do you proud, they lamb easily, are good mothers and are easily trained to the bucket as you have probably found out!

only the rams are registered not the ewes, for more info go to the Herdwick breeders society website

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS