Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on chest freezers please  (Read 9198 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Advice on chest freezers please
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »
Greenerlife, your my kinda person :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the white board and it would be a great help to OH.

Phesant Pharmer,

I will have a look for damaged freezers in my area as damage to the casing would not be to big an issue.

Buffy

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
Remember that a freezer that can drop to minus 23 Oc is better than one that creaks to only minus 10 Oc

We looked around for a big chest frezer and most were silly domestic  no lower than 5 oC ambient temp to keep them working .

I found a newsagents shop that was closing down and they let me have the big icecream chest freezer for nothing  :D    four foot by 2 foot by 2 foot deep with half sliding glass lids lids ..it has a freon or such gas fill and a big compressor and can be turned down to minus 25 oC .

It ran well last year when it dropped to minus 18 o C outside but because we also have the washer and dryer out in the garage in a partitioned off area along with the freezer I had to run 2 x 7 watt compact fluroscent bulbs 24/7 for a month or so close to the washer to stop it freezing up .

I also have some polyestyrene boxes in the freezer to hold my frozen sea angling baits.

some of the big lumps of meat were wrapped in  kitchen towel on any sharpe bone before being wel and truly cling filmed they have a big lettered label inside the layers of cling film so we know what we are going to have.
 I also vac pack loads of excess stuff & big batch soups into smaller manageable packs using a vac sealer from Aldi and some thicker embossed  bags from a company on line . these are a sod to label with date and contents  unless you get special freezer labels .

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 11:54:49 am »
Wow that sounds brilliant,

you clearly dropped lucky there!

I havent yet found one that is large enough at an affordable price.

Buffy

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »
You coud always try ebay or gumtree.

You can pick up second hand ones that are perfectly good. I have 2 second hand freezers that I got on Ebay and they live out in the garage.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS