Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small Holder or Small Farmer.?  (Read 13812 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Small Holder or Small Farmer.?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »
I thought the distinction was whether you *try* to make money or not!

Ask any farmer. Of course non of them make any profit!! They'll tell you this from the window of their brand new tractor/ Land Rover ;D ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
That is just so cool  8) How did you train him? My OH is terrible with the sheep names ( pigs & cattle are OK 'cos we've only got a couple of each).
When I mention Doris for example- he looks at me at says huh  ??? so then I have to say 'the white cheviot x shetland with the black spot on it's left ear that always has small lambs...'. Exactly - a mouthful. 

Well, firstly he's a lovely man.  Secondly, I saw a change in him when he heard me explaining to someone else that I find it much easier to remember names than stories.  (And I do pretty much always now have the original story available as backup. And / or the tag number / farm of origin.)  Oh, and we bought a Limi X cow from a widely-admired farmer at his partial dispersal sale - to be told by the farmer's daughter that the cow was called Cuddles and would come for a fuss and a bit of apple.   :D  After that, I think BH just decided to regard it as fun, and an eccentrity.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »
I think I'm a Small Farmer.......I'm only 5' 2" ...... sorry, couldn't resist that
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS