Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs going to slaughter on small scale  (Read 5233 times)

Countryman

• Joined Sep 2011
Pigs going to slaughter on small scale
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »
Hello

I bought 2 saddleback piglets for fattening 5 monthes ago. I have started thinking about slaughtering. They came to me with no tags but just ear notching. I am told I need to tag them with a plastic tag and get a slap mark? Do I simply order (two?) plasctic tags and register the numbers with defra? And how do I get a slap mark and is it necessary for 2 pigs? What will the slaughterhouses want tag/identification wise?

Many thanks for any help

Richard

Countryman

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Pigs going to slaughter on small scale
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:21 pm »
Hello

Just seen another forum topic which has answered most of my queries and my slaughterhouse will accept just tags. Once I have bought tags and applied them do I have to ring anyone with the numbers (ie defra, animal health etc?)

Many thanks
Richard

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:19:30 pm »
The tags will need your herd number on them. 

Then on the day you need to complete an AML2 form for movements and FCI (Food Chain Information)....unless your abattoir is on the automated system, in which case you can do it all online.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »
I never tag mine. Pigs going to slaughter can be moved with a temp. mark. I slap mark each shoulder with my herd number.
Karen

pitmore pigs

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:27:45 pm »
Hi,

I use Laverstoke Park abattoir and they want metal tags as plastic can not withstand the "process". My tags have my herd number and a number (1 to 25) as this was minimum order quantity. The heard and pig number also get entered onto the AML form, Laverstoke also need an FCI form (food chain information).

Cheers   

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »
There are legal requirements that vary for Scotland, but are the same for England and Wales, but come under different legisaltion, and on top of this an abattoir can specify what it requires.

Best to phone your abattoir and ask.

Repeat of previous post that summaries the reqs

In England you come under the Pigs Records, Identification and Movement Order 2007, known as PRIMO 2007
In Wales you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) (Wales) Order 2008 (PRIMO 2008)
In Scotland you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1995 (PRIMO 1995)
In England and Wales, a pig moving to slaughter comes under part 3 regulation 7 which states
7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a)an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or.
(b)a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”).
Regulation 6(c) states that
(2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder.
There is an exemption which allows temporary paint marks for under 1 year old, but not to slaughter.
In Scotland, the 1995 regulation states under regulation 5
(3) It shall not be lawful to move a pig between holdings in Great Britain unless before the movement commences it is marked either—
(a)with an identification mark which complies with the preceding paragraphs,[eartag or tattoo] or
(b)with an identification mark which will last at least until the pig reaches its destination and which, either by itself or by reference to a document accompanying the pig during the movement, enables the holding from which the pig was last moved to be identified.
So under English and Welsh legislation, a pig going to slaughter must carry a eartag, tattoo or slapmark of the holding that is sending it.
Under Scottish legislation it can go to slaughter on a temporary paint mark, or a tag, tattoo or slapmark. For tag,  or tatto, this can be one applied by the breeder, any intermediate owner who has tagged or tattoo it, or the holding from which it is being sent
The previous England and Wales legislation (PRIMO 2003) stated under regulation 14
 No person shall move a pig over 12 months old off a holding unless it is marked with—
(a)an identification mark; or
(b)a slapmark that is legible for the life of the pig and throughout the processing of its carcase.
This meant that if it had been tagged, it didn't need tagging again.
Many officials, breeders and farmers are unaware of the change between PRIMO 2003 and 2007, so some breeders will still tag.
OK so that’s the legal side.
On top of this, abattoirs can set their requirements.  I know of none in England that will accept a pig with an ear tattoo, most accept a single tag, or double slapmark.  Some only accept a slapmark (as they can easily identify a live pig without having to get hold of their ears).
In Scotland, I am told that some accept a temporary paintmark, but again many insist on slapmarks or eartags, so that they can easily identify the pigs as they go through then process.  If your abattoir in Scotland does accept paint marks, it is still probably better to tag or tattoo, so you can get traceability.
UK wide, the abattoir does not care one hoot what the number on the tag is, as long as it matches the paperwork – they have no responsibility for tagging or slapmarking, so as long as there is one they don’t care.
So if in England you buy a pig from a breeder and they tag it with their holding no. and you send this into the abattoir without adding you own, the abattoir will not mind, and the likelihood is that it will pass through with no problems.  Since the AML2 accompanying it will be used to identify the sender if there is a problem, it is highly doubtful whether anyone would ever check that the herd no. matches the holding no. unless the paperwork gets lost, in which case they would go back to the breeder, who might have no idea who sent a pig in.  If the breeder tags, and then the sender also tags, this just adds confusion at the abattoir, as they have to check two tags, so preferably buy your weaners without a tag, and add yours or slapmark.  If the breeder has tagged, it is better to slapmark, as most abattoirs will see this and use it.  By the by it is illegal to remove a tag previously applied !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:38 pm »
Hello

Just seen another forum topic which has answered most of my queries and my slaughterhouse will accept just tags. Once I have bought tags and applied them do I have to ring anyone with the numbers (ie defra, animal health etc?)

Many thanks
Richard

The tags will only have your herd no. on, and no you don't need to phone anyone, but as JulieS says, you'll need an AML2 and FCI or electronic equivalent.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS