Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suffolk Lamb  (Read 4400 times)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Suffolk Lamb
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:59:18 pm »
Just come in from my before bedtime half past ten check in the lambing shed and had to pull the biggest ewe lamb probably ever produced on the farm. Absolutely massive. Suffolk x with legs built like tree trunks ;D Both mother and lamb doing well ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Suffolk Lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:50 am »
Not being very up on sheep, is it better to have 1 really big one or 2 smaller ones.  Congratulations on new baby

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:44 am »
size depends mostly on what the owner wants a large single is preferred by those breeding rams for pedigree sales as they can boost them to a larger size. for the ewe twins are ideal we prefer twins as they are easier on the ewe at birth although harder on the ewe before weaning

Ian

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »
Well personnaly myself i rather a good set of twins but single are nice sometimes especialy for first time lambers as 1 is a lot easier to look after especially for a first time mother.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:22 pm »
That at the moment hexhammeasure isnt all that true at the moment from my personal experience. With todays commercial farming many ram buyers are looking for rams which ar twin born in the hope that the genetics for this trait pass on to its offspring to help both overall head of lambs born per ewe.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:43 pm »
and of course every breeder always says it was a single!  funny how many are born to twins or triplets these days.

Maybe i'm just a cynic

Ian

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »
O well, we never sell rams as breeding sheep we slaughter all the males, and breed for as many females as possible for breeding as the demand we're getting for polled dorsets as breeding sheep is unbelieveable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS