Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mares tail , horse tail and all other names you choose to call it.  (Read 3881 times)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Mares tail , horse tail and all other names you choose to call it.
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »
well just before I went on holiday seven weeks ago I  had played here on site and ssaid I wouuld experiment with a way of getting rid of horse tail .

I used my big heavy duty power washer and blasted a foot wide by 15 foot small bed by a wall that was afforested with it.

This was done to open up the plants fibres by injecting them with high pressure water plus a few teaspoons of vehicle wash in the feed wateradditive feed container and getting a route into the plant through the waxy coating on the plants.
I waited for three hours  to allow the plants to dry off a fair bit and then sprayed them with a standard recommended weed killing dose of DIY outlet ( B&Q ) strength Round Up.

I am exceedingly pleased to tell you all that the entire pressure wash & Round Up treated patch is now devoid of any horsetail or any other weeds .
The patch that I gave two coatings of the same round up mix is a bit stunted but is still growing and the patch that got only one dose is now six inches high.

This makes me think that it may be a viable proposition to hire an engine driven powerwasher  and put it on a trailer with a gravity feed water tank, add a bit of vehicle wash then get on and systematically blast a larger area ,then  hit it with Round up  a few hours later.

As the powerwasher is my own I chose this course of action as my washer cost me over £ 400 & it specifically states do not add  anything other than a recommended additive , had I hired it it would most likely have had brass and ceramic pumping elements that would not be damaged so I would have added roundup to the additive tank as well and put on full COSH protection set as well as a breathing mask .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

robert waddell

Re: Mares tail , horse tail and all other names you choose to call it.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:51 am »
roundup was derivative of agent orange in vietnam         you apply it to any green growth and it is absorbed through the leaf  system and travels to the roots and starts the killing process            allegedly it is safe to use on ponds and waterways as it is nutrelized on touching water
the proper roundup is manufactured by monsanto the patent for it has run out and is now coppied by every man and his dog and MAY NOT BE THE ORIGINAL RECEPIE OR STRENGHT
your experiment may have worked this time    but i think you are farting against thunder     with the whole concept :farmer:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: Mares tail , horse tail and all other names you choose to call it.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:58 pm »
roundup was derivative of agent orange in vietnam         you apply it to any green growth and it is absorbed through the leaf  system and travels to the roots and starts the killing process            allegedly it is safe to use on ponds and waterways as it is nutrelized on touching water
the proper roundup is manufactured by monsanto the patent for it has run out and is now coppied by every man and his dog and MAY NOT BE THE ORIGINAL RECEPIE OR STRENGHT
your experiment may have worked this time    but i think you are farting against thunder     with the whole concept :farmer:

Not is it not safe to aquatic plants or fish that is stated quite categorically on the container.

Perhaps being labeled as " Round Up "  one the container and having the Monsanto gumph on the info sheet avoids the weakening effect of copies
 Only time will tell in the long run.. I still have a couple of hundred of square metres of the stuff to attack before it closes down for winter.
It does  nutralize on contact with earth and it is far less toxic than road grit salt.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:51:26 am by Dan »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS