Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RACING PIGS! A NON STARTER???  (Read 5042 times)

hillfarmlad

• Joined Jan 2008
RACING PIGS! A NON STARTER???
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:58 pm »
HI ALL NEW TO THIS SITE AND DONT HAVE ANY PIGS AT PRESENT BUT MAY BE LOOKING FOR SOME TAMWORTH REDS TO DO SOME PIG RACING WITH AT SOME LOCAL SHOWS AS WAY OF DIVERSIFICATION AND TO HELP RAISE FUNDS FOR SOME WORTHY CAUSES
I HAVE PLENTY OF SHEEP AND TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE MOVEMENT RULES ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT FOR PIGS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO IS MOVE PIGS FROM MY HOLDING TO AGRICULTURAL SHOW OR GALA VENUE AND BACK HOME ON SAME DAY IF I DO THIS WHEN CAN I NEXT MOVE THEM OFF THE PROPERTY
WOULD VALUE ANY OPINIONS COMMENTS ADVICE OR PROS N CONS ON MOVEMENTS OR RACING OF PIGS
THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: RACING PIGS! A NON STARTER???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:32 pm »
Not sure how this would work - I think it would be difficult to do it safely. A Tamworth is pretty big (and fast, if ours were anything to go by) and if they took off, it would take an awful good barrier to hold them.

I was really surprised how fast the Tamworths were. So were our dogs!

I'm sure others will ahve other views.

Rosemary

PS Turn off the caps lock - it's like being shouted at!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:11:07 pm »
Not sure of the regs, but I would very careful about using a Tammy, at least a fully grown Tammy. They are very big, very single minded and very heavy.  Even with piglets though, you would need to make sure it was done in a secure area - they are very fast even at a very young age.

If you get it together though, please tell all!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »
I think the regs say that you can't move a pig for 20 days after a move off the holding, thats in the UK and I may have got it wrong . Best thing would be check the defra web site. So many reg changes lately find out for sure first . Sorry can't be of any real help......

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS