Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please : dirty compacted rope of tail  (Read 10652 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Help please : dirty compacted rope of tail
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 07:39:59 pm »
I had this with a sec d colt last year.  I put baby oil on it over a few days and it all sort of came off :) i did have to comb and wash it towards the end and a lot came off that had matted up.  I didn't cut any apart to trim the bottom.  You can get cheap baby oil from tesco or boots and it leave a lovely shine.

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »
poundland does it i like their peg holders i put my brushes in it and maizie my gypsy can stand on it doesn't break asda are doing their plastic tubbs £2 great for feeding buckets havn't seen the medium por large sizes in yet  :horse:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:32:48 pm »
speaking from experience (i used to have dreadlocks down to my arse ) if you want to detangle a lock the best thing i know of is the cheapest BIG bottle of hair conditioner you can find and a table fork .
slather the conditioner all over the lock and squish it in as much as possible, then use the fork starting at the bottom to tease the matting out. it really does work, my locks were 3.5 years old and they came out leaving me with my normal hair.
well they would have done, cept i got bored after the first 6 and shaved my head But it can be done 
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 08:41:54 am »
i just use good old canter spray for everyday use and it seems to stay in a good week. and a hairbrush (big paddle brush by nicky clark/boots) which has lasted years. start at bottom and work your way up.  :wave:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 08:37:05 pm »
How you getting on with the tail Sally?

gailmb

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:06:28 pm »
Hi
i have a Dales pony, who has a full tail, he has only once had a problem with his tail getting matted up and that was due to a large branch that got tangled up and i literally had to rip it out as it was that stuck. i then pulled the hair apart bit by bit. also i dont use a comb on his tail, just an ordinary large headed hairbrush. I only brush through his tail once or twice a year.
i know it doesnt look good but if its as bad as you say then just cut it off. if its close to skin where its tangled up then it will be pulling at the skin underneath.

good luck

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 01:05:49 am »
How you getting on with the tail Sally?

:-[ to say I haven't done the full cleanup on it yet but will have to soon as the wetter winter weather heads in.  She isn't too bad with it at the moment but it will get worse as the mud gets deeper and more sticky, so I want to get it sorted and trimmed ready for winter in the next couple of weeks.

My excuse is that all the stables are either out of action or being used by other animals, but it's a feeble one and I know it.  However, the cattle shed will be back onstream very shortly, so then I can have a box to park her in while I work on it.

I've got this thread bookmarked to look up all the instructions once I've got her home and ready to start!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »
once her tail is all clean and tangle free you can spray it with polish and that should keep the dirt from embedding in it for a while. Only spray the polish on the tail itself, like you would with a mane and tail product, and brush it through. I learnt this from one of my colleagues who pointed out the polish was cheaper than mane and tail and did a great job. If your horse is a bit worried by the sound of an aerosol around it you can spray it onto a dandy brush and then work it through the tail that way ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »
you might also try to plait the tail once you've cleaned it up as that will also help it to stay a bit cleaner going forward.  pooh can be picked off more easily as well

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:53 pm »
you might also try to plait the tail once you've cleaned it up as that will also help it to stay a bit cleaner going forward.  pooh can be picked off more easily as well

That's a good idea  :thumbsup: And it'll be nice and crinkly when you unplait it  ;D

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »
not really a horse person, but know a bit about oils etc. being an aromatherapy teacher. Personally I wouldn't use baby oil on anything not even a baby!! it is a mineral oil a by product of the petrochemical industries,  it is not absorbed into either the hair or skin but sits on the surface collecting more dirt and grime, normal veg oil or sunflower oil will do the same thing if you put it on and then shampoo off the next day it will help to loosen things. but remember to put shampoo on first before you go near it with water or it won't come out as the oil and water won't mix
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »
our long haired gsd gets her belly and tail trimmed right back as shes out in muck alday. doesnt look gud but she doesnt care and much healthier for her.
not a pony but welfare comes first.
with ponies i use canter spray after washing and b4 brushing. and keep the tails a bit shorter in winter so they dont get stood in when mud is deep.
some ponies are more prone to twisting and knotting than others.
when i was younger and working in pony yards, our boss was so strict we had to tie up their tails when hacking out etc so no mud got in it!
wer are more laid back here!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS