Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First covering  (Read 1709 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
First covering
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:25:55 am »
One of our BS nannies ( Duffran Jalorena ),who we dried off at the back end of last year after a failed AI, was acting like a complete tart 3 days ago. She was camped outside the boy's stable shouting her intentions to the world and doing her best to break their door down.
 So after doing a quick calculation ( start of February ) we put her in with our newly acquired billy ( Sandford Aspen ) , What a good boy he is, 4 coverings that morning and another two that evening, next day 2 covering in the morning and another 2 in the evening, tried them again yesterday and neither of them were interested so we assume the job is a good u'n,
 We will have her scanned in a few weeks time , it's very handy having a neighbour who scans for a living and does our little jobs for free.
He is standing at stud. ( goat ,not neighbour )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:10:37 am by tizaala »

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: First covering
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
Yes I have done 5 girls now.... possibly another 2 tonite.   So there will be some early kids for export.

I never normally scan... I have found over the years that if the goat is no longer in season within 24hrs of covering, then she is safely inkid.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
Sounds like your billy has been busy ;D

We have one of the smaller girls in kid by Bobby.   The pygmy goats come in season a lot earlier.  None of the bigger females have shown any signs of being in season yet.  Maybe its our cold climate here, but its usually mid September or even later.  I will not put any of the females to the billy until late November, as again, we are in a bleak part of the country, and I prefer late April for kidding.

Just thinking, if one of the females was camped outside Bobbys shed he would have smashed the shed down!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:21:22 am »
There are 4 boys hurling obscenities around the barn !!!!!!!   The  girls are lining up against one of the walls..... it is quite funny to watch actually !!!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »
 :)  Wytsend, I can only imagine the noise created by all your females when they come in season, and then the billies too.

Darren is busy practising for his ladies .....on the castrated boys he lives with.  As they are very tall, its quite funny to watch his efforts, and even funnier, when they try and return the favour.  He has tried a couple of times with Dolly the little alpine who lives with the boys (she has no desire to live with the girls).  But so far, she has declined his kind offer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS