Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our new composting toilet  (Read 8208 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Our new composting toilet
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
Here is our new composting toilet.

It was installed for us by a company in Llanidloes called NATSOL (http://www.natsol.co.uk/)

As you can see it's rapidly morphed into my garden shed!!!

It is absolutely GREAT. I love it. We are going to get a little wind turbine on the top to charge up a battery to run a small light and we are going to change the urine system so that it drains directly into our wood chip pile.

Now I just need to get a little table to put some magazines and a vase of sweet peas on!!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Our new composting toilet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »
oOO I'm jealous it looks great!! Will you cut up newspaper and thread it onto a hook for loo paper to complete the look? I would!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »
Excellent ! I want one. We had a compost loo when we stayed in a yurt for my birthday last December it was great.

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
Thats a proper toilet, one you can sit  ::) for ages in!!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 05:51:19 pm »
Great stuff -

Can I ask how big is the hole you dug for that?  Does it need moving every now and then?  Do you have to put sawdust or anything down after using it?

Do you think the public could use it with all their carelessness?

I'd love a few on our campsite with our yurts, I am aware that I may need planning for the shed bit, but I dont think you need to inform environmental health or get planning for the 'pit' bit as no second handling of sewage is necessary?

Looks neat - I'd sit on it all day counting my spades and forks whilst pretending to read a copy of OK magazine that the misses left behind! :)

Baz

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »
The vault hole is 2.5m long x 2m wide x 0.85m deep. The vault sits in the hole and acts as the foundation for the shed bit. It's very neat.

The vault is divided into two - so one side is in active use for a year and the other side is composting for a year. So - instead of moving the hole, you move the toilet pedestal from side to side on an annual basis.

You have to put a handful of sawdust or any "brown" material after each visit. There is a urine separator for the ladies and a urinal for the chaps. We haven't had the urinal fitted yet but I am planning to have that routed straight to my woodchip pile.

There are two other holes in the vault which are only opened to shovel the composted waste out at the end of its composting year.

I think this is one of the first "private" toilets that Natsol have installed. They usually go to public places, allotment sites, churches etc. and they are popular with the public.

We won't be using newspaper for loo paper but we will be switching to an unbleached toilet paper brand. Can't quite bring myself to use straw  :o :o

We didn't get planning for this. Natsol have a document of cogent arguments on their website as to why planning isn't required.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:11:24 pm »
Nice! Very impressive and I'm quite jealous  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:47:11 pm »
Don't fancy that on a cold winter's night ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 08:07:01 pm »
Gosh, what you have there is an enormous boon, (and we are always on the look out for enormous boons,...... are we not?) Congratulations on your super loo and thanks for posting your photos.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »
Reading these posts and as I am now in regular contact with a cousin, she was brought up with a wealthy relation as her dad lived a VERY rough life, her brother is in Glasgow now and has little contact with the family due to his upbringing etc, BUT I remeber they had no services and had a sort of hut with a wooden seat and a bucket that my uncle chucked into the sea when it was full...they realy did lead a life living off the land. truly, he lived in a fishermans cottage on hells mouth and had a well for water, that toilet and grew his own veg and my cousin used to put rope around any roaming horse and ride it!!!! Real living off the land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »
Thats a proper toilet, one you can sit  ::) for ages in!!!

With the door open--first thing on a summer morning, listening to bird-song and watching the sun rise. (I was brought up on a remote farm with no neighbours and summer mornings started like this :))

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »
Well , a bit of a chiller on a cold winter's night , you could fit a second loo to save the annual move , I'm sure that even two Jags Prescott would be jealous then. If you turn the muck fork up the other way then the handle will stay clean ! whoops, na'h , You're one of those posh folk who wash their tools before putting e'm away in the shed......
Well done you.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:38:03 pm »
Lovely loo su, you need a magazine rack though for all those copies of smallholder mag - if you're anything like us its the only 5 mins you get to browse..... we have a few composting loos we inherited here, one is in a turret overlooking a river - it has heart shapes cut in slot windows so you can see who is next in line!  Have a nice eh..hmmm....
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

I've found a little magazine rack!!!

Glad you think the tools look clean Tiz - I was just thinking in a rather heartsink way as I hung them up on their new hooks yesterday that I would have to start keeping them clean. They are filthy!!! I don't think I look after my tools nearly as well as I should.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
Great loo! Please tell me that's the legendary "Thunderbox" poem printed out on the wall?!
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS