Author Topic: gates  (Read 4273 times)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
gates
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »
i know that the country side code says that people should leave gates as they find them, but does the code represent a legal obligation to leave gates as found or is it just a recommendation.
kn

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: gates
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:20:19 am »
The code doesn't have legal effect. 

However that does not mean that someone leaving a gate open would always escape any legal liability for the consequences.  Much would depend on the particular circumstances.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:34:44 am »
Also one of the problems would be proving how they found them, if you see what I mean. They could say they found it open, and followed the code rule to leave it like that.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:39:18 am »
hi
thanks, i would have no problem videoing the gate being left open, the gate has a sign asking those that pass to close it behind them but many still insist on leaving it open. this is not a public right of way but it does provide access to someone else s land across my land, its not a major issue as i dont mind the gate being left open when i am not training my dogs but when i am it can cause a hazard to myself and my dogs by being left open.
kn

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:46 am »
If its not for vehicles then tie a bungie cord around the bottom of the gate post and the bottom of the gate - enough room to step inbetween but doesnt allow the gate to fully opened - it also reminds them to close it again and sometimes will spring shut with the correct latch. Yes its a bit of a trip hazzard - but if you trip on a gate youve just opened - then walking the coast path is probably not the best idea ;)

The only thing that pee's me off more than someone leaving a gate the opposite of what they found it is someone parking a car infront of it.  Grr

Baz

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:48:08 am »
some forker parking in front of my gates      that i would love to happen    just think of the senario   how did the car land on  its roof  well i parked the car in a gate way and stopped the irate farmer from getting into/out of his field      i know somebody that was asked to move a car that was blocking a road   pushed it round then forks through the windows  dumped it on the banking job done :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
You can get self closers for gates which work on a spring system so that once opened and passed thro they 'spring' shut again. Try B&Q or local ag merchant.
HTH
Mandy :pig:
PS We have footpath thro our front field and local council put a gate onto our property we objected as it was wide enough to get a quad bike thro'  ::) and it was changed to a stile. Disabled access to the path is thro a gate further up the lane so why put two in........doh ...  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS