Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a smallholding.  (Read 11777 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Buying a smallholding.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 03:57:19 pm »
We had an offer accepted today on the smallholding that we were after.  I am so excited. Keeping my fingers crossed now that all goes through ok.
Sally

Congratulations Sally !! 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »
My advice is to keep looking and looking and looking.

We bought our 10 acres 5 years ago and had been looking for a while. We knew where we wanted to be because we wanted to stay in the locality we had been living in ans we didn't want to move the children from their schools and friends. It seemed impossible. Land around here seemed so unlikely and was always expensive - and then we happened to see this plot with a building plot attached. We weren't particularly wanting to build a house but it was the only way we could purchase land around here. Well now we are living in a shed while the house is progressing so very slowly that there is no visible movement - but we are very happy. We now have a fab little flock of shetland sheep, shetland geese, chooks and more ducks than is sensible.
I really think that making a list of the most important priorities for you will allow you to think what you might consider giving up to achieve the top three.
Good luck
kirsty

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
We looked at Southern Ireland there are properties for less than 50,000 euro with land but some need lots and lots of TLC but there are some bargains to be had, again as others have said not much work! and no NHS which has now stopped us as I am diabetic and every time you need to see the doc it's 50 euro +20 for a pescription then full price for any medication.

Now no laughing but this is the Irish property website

http://www.daft.ie/  ;D ;D ;D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 11:51:18 pm »
I just had to look - I thought you were kidding ;D  It really is called DAFTIE ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
and no NHS which has now stopped us as I am diabetic and every time you need to see the doc it's 50 euro +20 for a pescription then full price for any medication.

Don't we take ours for granted  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS