Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I being done?  (Read 7307 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Am I being done?
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:16 pm »
someone has offered me their shetland mare (14 yo), says she's had her since she was a child and just wants a nice home for her....sounds ok....then she tells me she has no passport......if i pay for one then i can have the pony f.o.c.

thoughts?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Am I being done?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:25:32 pm »
Don't know the answer to the question, but does it have a vet history - I'd ask the Vet's name so I could check back.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:03 am »
Thats a good idea - without it theres no way of knowing if the pony is stolen. Im sure it's not and theyve just not applied for a PP.
The other thing you could ask to see is historic photos of the pony.

Personally I would make them apply for the PP and reimburse the money for it (if you are happy to) once you see it issued. That way if any qs are asked it's their problem

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:29 am »
I agree with lachlanandmarcus

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:36 am »
good point lachlanandmarcus....think I'll go down that route :)
and yes annie, she does have a vet history - only for routine stuf though

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:25 am »
good point lachlanandmarcus....think I'll go down that route :)
and yes annie, she does have a vet history - only for routine stuf though
What about reason for passing her on without payment - is it genuine?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:27 am »
No you are no 'being done', why would you think that, a few quid for a passport isn't expensive compared to the price of a pony.

The thing is, animals that are passed around for free are more likely to end up being just that - passed on, or taken by unscrupulous people who try to make a quick dollar. I've heard so many times of people saying yes I'll take it when a horse (or other animal) is free but if the subject of money comes up they go quiet.

I think it reasonable that you pay for the passport, and I go along with the suggestion that the current owner applies/pays for it and then you reimburse her in full and take the pony once the paperwork has arrived.

I hope it all works out well.

:horse:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:33:35 am »
even more simple you can't own the pony without one. or move her. don't forget the chipping as well. if she is a full shetland your looking at some silly prices for passporting her with the stud book. i would be worried about her history that she was not registered as a foal. i would suggest regestering with another passporting authority. but then any foals won't be registered shetlands.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:06:31 pm »
Ah yes - no mention has been made as to whether the pony is chipped or not, but it is likely that if the pony was with it's current owner before chipping came into force (which it sounds like she has) than egglady will probably be asked by the seller to pay for that too.

The prices of these things can be found out in advance (a trip to a vet should do it or online; links below) then egglady can decide if she wants to proceed.

My Shetland came with full Stud paperwork way before the days of chipping so this pony may already have that, just not a passport/microchip as per the current regs.

This link has info and appx costs re microchipping:

http://www.minstervets.co.uk/microchipping_in_horses.html

And this link tells you practically everything you need to know re applying for a horse passport inc prices (£17.50 and just one day to process, that can't be bad):

http://www.horsepassportagency.co.uk

It's still cheap compared to the price of a pony. Let us know how it all goes egglady.

:horse:

PS: Here is another link, HORSE PASSPORTS: GUIDANCE FOR ALL HORSE OWNERS- HORSE PASSPORTS (SCOTLAND) REGULATIONS:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/05/31111522/15241

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:18:20 pm by OhLaLa »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:27 pm »
Simple, no horse or pony can move to a new owner or be put out on loan without its passport its the law.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
lets hope its stud book registered as its 150 quid for regestring plus 45 for the passport then the chipping. as said if just going to be a companion then avoid the stud book and go for whatever is the cheapest option. you do just have to treat it as an expense and it should be down to the new keeper to pay for the passport and chip after all your getting it for free. it would give you chance to get your own vet to check her out at the same time.

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:55:26 pm »
i have a shetland 32 yrs old she doesn't have a passport never knew i needed one until i got maizie i was done with her passport i paid for it and then had to get it put in my name i didn't know you had to have a passport and that her last owner paid for it once burnt never again ask your local vet about getting her passported don't think its too much i paid £50 FOR MAIZIE AND I GOT HER MICROCHIPPED MYSELF THE LAW HAS CHANGED SINCE I GOT MAIZIE YOU NEED A MICROCHIPP N PASSPORT oops sorry about caps lol i had the vet out on monday and they didn't ask about her passport he was amazed how well she is doing and her condition same with my other shetlands they are 20yrs old

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:59:23 pm »
You can't transport them without a passport though.  Unless they're feral ponies and are destained for meat or it is a genuine rescue.  I'd be a bit concerned if it was me.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »
When passports were first introduced it was a bit chaotic and nobody really knew if they needed them for older ponies so many didn't bother.  Some breed societies introduced them for registering foals and offered optional ones for older ponies, ditto re microchips, and I know plenty older ponies who were never planned to be rehomed never got them as they don't need them unless transported or sold..

I wouldn't be worried about whether the pony was genuinely owned by the person - if stolen she'd be more likely to want to sell her than give her away ::) so if you like the pony and she suits you and has no ongoing lami or other conditions (only having routine vet history suggests good health so you can check visually and make your mind up which you'd want to do anyway as shetlands aren't all the same despite appearances ;) )

If the Shetland breed society are extortionate to issue a passport go for the cheapest general purpose one, be it BHS, BDS, she could even be a sports horse ;)  I understood you could get them for about £10 so it isn't that much for a free pony and she won't eat much ::)  Just make sure she's a nice personality and you like her, and if so then that'd be good enough for me anyway..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:44 pm »
Is it the law that all ponies must be microchipped? Mine have passports and Smokey's freezebranded but neither have chips.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS