Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plucking and Dressing  (Read 8877 times)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
Plucking and Dressing
« on: August 28, 2011, 09:36:06 pm »
Hi all,

We have kept poultry for nearly 15 years but only fancy fowl and laying birds. Im thinking of keeping some table birds now as well. I want to be sure I will be able to pluck and dress the birds once reared.   :)
Does anybody know of a good course within about 150 miles of West Wales or a good DVD. I would like some hands on experience if possible before I take the plunge. I'm only thinking of having 10-12 birds at a time for our own personal consumption.  :yum:

Many thanks in anticipation of replies.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Plucking and Dressing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »
Hiya, To be honest, I managed OK having watched a few Youtube videos. OK, so the first one took over an hour to do, but I got quicker after that  :). The main thing for me was dispatching the first few humanely (not enjoyable), but once it's dead, the plucking is really easy, and the drawing gets better with practice!

This website on chicken butchering is pretty useful too.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »
Cheers Womble, never thought of you tube, although I use it for demos of lots of other things. Thanks for the link too.  :)

Maria1969

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:47 am »
The first tiime I did mine I had my lap top on the side with a combination of Hugh F Whittingstall free on line lesson & utube...lol

It was quite easy as you can stop/pause/replay etc etc.

M x
1 x soon to be husband, 2 x kids, 1 x dog, 1 x cat, 10 x ex bat chickens, 2 x rabbits, 1 x Gecko and 6 x 12 week old cocker spaniel puppies :0)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
Would someone near you have spare cockerals they wouldn't mind you having for the pot, so you could practise?  And have some nice coq au vin into the bargain.  The worst that can happen is a bit that shouldn't burst, bursts, and you have to wash some meat very thoroughly or, if you don't fancy it after that, feed it to your very appreciative cat.   :cat:  Butchering failures just mean chicken stew or pie instead of roast.   ;D

(Guess how I learned...!) 

Actually, I was lucky enough to be working on a country estate that had a pheasant shoot; most shooting days there'd be a pair of brace hung on my car wingmirror when I came to leave.  We ate a lot of pheasant, pusscat had the best of scraps  :cat: :yum: ;D, I even used to make pheasant sandwiches  :yum: - and I got quite good at gutting.  Less good at plucking, it's a different ball game with a well-hung bird.  I learned the plucking and jointing later, when I had a friend with spare cockerals...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:35:06 am »
We lived before on a road where there were a lot of road kill phesant ( one car dead no problem..two car leave it for the fox) I used to pick them up and "peel" them rather than pluck. You could see where the car had been easier. They made great game pies and caseroles, yum (I miss them now)... ((kids used to think roadkill was a bit yucky but still enjoyed the finished dish))

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »
Thanks Sally, what a good idea, got lots of friends nearby but none with cockerals. There is a local poultry market a few miles down the road though where cockerels go for peanuts.  :) Anne
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:34:11 pm by Miss Piggy »

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »
like MelR, I prefer peel to pluck....
Little Blue

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:43 pm »
hi
when we did our first chickens, from collection to finnshed plucking was an hour!! ::)
it does get easier  (and quicker) and i found i am actually better at plucking than OH  ;D
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:38 am »
The trick with plucking is do it warm - as soon as the bird is dead, if you can. Otherwise you can dunk the bird in a bowl of warm water.  If the bird is warm and you pull with the direction of the feathers they come off really easily.

With a well-hung pheasant, plucking is not easy.  I would always peel unless I am determined to roast the bird, in which case I think you need the skin on.   I suppose you could always use strips of bacon if you have peeled and want to roast.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »
Cheers Sally thanks again. Maybe have a go at both plucking and skinning, not the same bird :o and see how I get on  ::)

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 03:39:46 pm »
Hello,
I have done plenty of game (pigeon goose pheasant partridge duck), but no chickens.
My rule of thumb is ...roast - then take time to pluck
stew/casserole/pie then skin/breast
saves a lot of time unlesss you are doing lots and then consider a plucker.  They can be had quite cheaply
eg.http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=348302&ClassID=139

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »
Thanks Nicandem for your reply, much appreciated. The plucker attachment looks very interesting, have you used one? Cheers Anne  :chook:

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
I tried making one by using a metal tube and buying the 'fingers'
unfortunatly these are longer than the ones on that model and therefore go round much faster!
need a slower speed drill ;D
however the feathers did come off.... but it was a snowstorm effect ::)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:15:14 am »
nicandem - you mention pigeons.  How do you draw them, being so small?  I have 9 young Scots Grey cockerels to do, not much bigger than pigeons, and can't let them grow any bigger as they are starting to get bolshy, but they will be too small for my hands (sturdy female size  :D)  Any hints and tips?  I have plucked lots of pheasants (etc)  as a child but my dad hung them for so long you just had to shake them - I always hated pheasant back then - far too strong, hung too long for me.  I always skin the young cockerels and in the past they have been big enough for me to just get my fingers in, but not this time.  :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS