Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thainstone poultry sale sat 27th  (Read 4251 times)

alexander

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Macduff Eastwemyss
Thainstone poultry sale sat 27th
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:14:57 pm »
I was at the Thainstone sale yesterday at Inverurie for the first time and was impressed with the way it was conducted . The speed and efficiency was great .
I had 4 Maran cocks in the sale and had one spare crate with me.  My lot was up and I could not hear if the birds sold for ~£5 or were not sold.
I had used the spare crate for a pair of grey silkies that I got for £10 plus commission. I went to the office to pay for the silkies and ask about the marans only to find a Que of only one person in front of me, but they had the information already and the boys were sold thus freeing a crate for me to fill for the return home. Got 5 Isa brown at 10 month for £12 plus com.
I found it a good sale with lovely birds going cheep (sorry)
It was cheep for me yesterday was the least I have spent at a sale so far.
Was not happy with the dry roll that had 2 half sausages on it and a cup of T for £4.50.
Saw a lot of the same people from Lanark and Forfar sales. Any TAS peeps there.

Victorian Farmer

Re: Thainstone poultry sale sat 27th
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
yes was att thainstone some stock was good .to think there is onley 1 sale left this yere people will be cutting back.some sell all and re stock in march the money they save on feed pays for the new stock.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:50 am »
I use Thainstone a lot. Sell all my sheep through them, even work there most weeks. They run a pretty tight ship but then they need to with a market that size. You're right about the food though, can be steep on the price side. I paid more than you for my birds but there is such a good selection of breeds to buy it is still a good sale.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »
I was there but didnt get much chance to see the poultry as I was watching the livestock.  Shame I couldn't be in 2 places at the same time.  It was a long day from 10 till 4 but think it was the amount of Jacob sheep that were there because it was also a show.  Nice to some rare breeds like the longhorn cattle and the Wensleydale sheep.  We ate upstairs and the food was excellent.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »
I was there on Saturday also..... had a great day, bought a quartet of Gold Sebrights, 1 cock and 3 hens..... 4 light Sussex hens and 6 guinea fowl keets being looked after by a broody hen!!
Overall an enjoyable day. I had planned to buy a kune kune  :pig:, but still waiting for my holding number (very slow process in Scotland it seems?).

:)
Metal Detectorist

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »
I made it too - was selling some Jacobs - wanted to get a couple more call ducks as there looked like some very cute ones but ended up watching the sheep to the bitter end. Anna spotted me, unfortunately I was having a 'thick' moment and didn't recognise her till she prompted me!! Came home with a very cute Castlemilk Moorit ewe lamb who's quite happy with the Shetland lambs for the moment - well it would have been a waste bringing the trailer home empty!!

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:35 am »
She's lovely Brucklay.  I liked the Castlemilk Moorit ewe best of all the sheep at Lanark too... uh-oh... 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS