Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are banana skins poisonous to pigs?  (Read 28456 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Are banana skins poisonous to pigs?
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:57 am »
Had a bargain last night of 25 bags of bananas for £2.50  :P now i'm being told that the skins are bad for pigs?  I must admit that i had no idea that they were/are and mine have had them before.

Input please :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Are banana skins poisonous to pigs?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:43 am »
No mine love em' tend not to give them to very young weaners though. The older breeding stock much them whole!!  ;D
HTH
Mandy  :pig

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:58 am »
If banana skins were poisonous to pigs Meg would've died long since.  Bananas are her absolute favourite food, she eats them whole.  She will eat an empty banana skin in preference to pig nuts.  We buy any reduced bananas we see for her, she eats a lot of bananas and banana skins...

She doesn't like orange peel, she peels oranges with her snout and eats the flesh but leaves the skin.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:29:05 am »

Yes ours love bananas, too. I just cut them into short slices - skin and all.

Gary

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »
Ours love Bananas too. We used to get them from the market at shutting up time. Bananas and pineapple were their favourite. Leeks, onions and brussels sprouts never touched!
I used to peel off the little labels, but husband never did!! ( Slicing not an option) No problems so far

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Mine devour pounds a day, courtesy of a local fruit and veg shop. I certainly don't slice them, they can eat them faster than I can throw them! Nor do I peel them, they eat the lot.
They also eat pounds of apples, peaches, peppers,pears, grapes and carrots. I can see their bellies bulging before I leave them :yum: :yum:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 03:02:15 pm »
I think Gary has too much time on his hands ;)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »
When we first gave our pigs bananas they ate the skins though did try to eat around it, and the more bananas they were fed the fussier they became and we ended up picking old banana skins out of the mud :D. The pigs could afford to be fussy as we managed to get many hundreds of bananas from the back of a wholesaler (we peeled them there and then and left the peelings in their containers as otherwise our wheelie bin would have been full, the smell in the car was bad enough  ;)). There were thousands of old bananas being thrown away there every time we went.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:57 pm »
Thats what i thought :) the reason i asked is i timed it right in our local Tescos and i picked up 25kg of bananas for £2.50  ;D along with oranges that were 10p a bag too.

Chopped lots up today and threw them about the field so they can search for them and i gave some to mum and babies too.  The babies seemed to stand on the skin and eat the flesh :) bargain

Thanks

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:03 pm »
25kgs?? Good on you. Mash them in the foodprocessor and put them in the freezer for when you have no other treats, our pigs loved it when we mixed it with dried old bread.  :yum:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:44 pm »
Just caught-up with this thread ...

Put it this way, if banana skins were poisonous there would have been a huge article in Scottish Farmer or the like "mad Welsh in-comer murders Kune herd"  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:27:59 am »
There is a new tesco extra opened up locally and they seem to have over ordered everything lol we went in to get school uniform for our son and i happened across a trolly full of bags of bananas for 10p a kg .... i picked up 10 not wanting to be greedy and then i thought sod it and put the lot in the trolly :)

I cut a lot up into chunks in the peeing down rain yesterday afternoon and while they were eating the normal food i threw them around the field as far as my puny throws would take them.  It was funny to watch the piglets with them tho  :pig: they stood on them and got the good bits out and left the skins that momma went and hoovered up hehe

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 11:33:35 am »
the pigs will love them with skins on and yes freeze some but also don't forget to make banana bread for yourself which also can be frozen for a lovely treat when you need one too.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »
I've got loads in the freezer already lol keep forgetting to defrost them to make banana bread.  Will remember one day  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS