Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goose eggs  (Read 3371 times)

liz999

• Joined Oct 2008
  • N. IRELAND
goose eggs
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:47 am »
hi all back again with exciting news, i have 6 live goose eggs due to hatch day 30 will be tomorrow, any advice on helping hatching or leaving be will be greatly appreiciated.all are starting to chirp inside, really dont want to loose this lot. only second attempt at this, first time was a total loss.
LIZ

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: goose eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:38 pm »
I had a go two years ago, 5 out of eight survived. i seem to remember moisture was the key, so keep the humidity up. i used a garden sprayer to keep them moist. I t was really fantastic hatching out goslings, they soon become huge fluffy chicks. i had 3 boys and 2 girls . alas I only have the boys left, as the girls were lost to wild animals( fox or badger?). they are a real handful, and chase my neighbours and their horses across the paddock. excellent guards, but no eggs. i am planning to add some girls to the flock soon and have sourced some from north yorks. ( i think he has posted on here touting for business). good luck and keep us posted.

liz999

• Joined Oct 2008
  • N. IRELAND
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »
5 out of 6 started hatching out this morning!! 1 dud egg, all 5 have beaks out and I am spraying them with tepid water, also they are taking little drinks from a dropper of cooled boiled water. chirping away! how long dos it take them to come out of egg? will I just let nature take its course? I have 2  fully grown ganders and 1 goose.
LIZ

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:23 pm »
I'd leave them to do it themselves now. It should all happen quite quickly. Stop the spraying and water giving and just maybe leave a dampened paper towel in the inncy. they can be ignored for a day to allow them to fluff up as they have reserve from the egg nutrition to keep them going. well done, looks like you now have a flock of eight. i gave mine a little chick meal and some finely chopped up grass. chopped up hard boiled egg is also good in small doses. as well as clean water. like the adults they are very messy but loads cuter. :D

liz999

• Joined Oct 2008
  • N. IRELAND
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:16:32 pm »
thanks, its difficult to ignore them! they are noisy wee things.
still just beaks out, hopefully they will work themselves out tonight.
will keep all posted tomorow, think its going to be a LONG night!
LIZ

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:19:49 pm »
I am getting qute nostalgic now reading your posts. the eggs seemed enormous compared to chickens and the goslings were so big and fluffy. they grew at such a pace it was fantastic. they were in our spare bedroom and made a right old fuss.( i have subsequently been banned from hatching in the house). i am not tempted to repeat the task this year and am going for definite girls at an older stage. three boys is too many but i am attached to them now. you will enjoy them once they have fluffed up.

liz999

• Joined Oct 2008
  • N. IRELAND
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:54:40 am »
all goslings survived the night! in brooder now tucking into boiled egg, they are sooooo gorgeous.
LIZ

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:51:13 pm »
Ohhhhh well done you....I'm really jealous.   Keep up the excellent work.   Any pics???
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »
fantastic ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS