Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 2760 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Asparagus
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »
I'd like to grow this. Would it be better outside or in the polytunnel?

Thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:03 pm »
I would love to grow it too but I know it would be swamped with weeds within a year or two here :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:54 am »
I would love to grow it too but I know it would be swamped with weeds within a year or two here :(

A more robust plant than folk think. My mum just finds them growing 'wild' around her garden and gets enough for a single person every few days during the season just on a potter around on her sticks (she's 93)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:41:05 am »
OK. Outside it is - we're quite sheltered here (well the garden is). Just need Dan to build the bed now  ;)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »
I'd like to grow this. Would it be better outside or in the polytunnel?

Thanks.

grow either from seed or three yr old crowns in a well raised bed approx six feet actross ( 1,78 mtr )  . my asparagus is enclosed in a 2foot ( 600 mm ) high wall built on a concrete foundation , the mound  rises aboujt  6inches higher then the wall ( 150mm ) the plants are 300 mm ( a foot ) apart.

I've not seen it grown inside a poly tunnel ..perhaps because it always occupies the same spot for the 20 years or so that a bed is viable.
  This is the fourth raised asaparagus bed I've built in my 61 years.
 Because the bed is raised and well contained it is so easy even for a disabled guy like me to sit on the solid wall and gently weed it for a few minutes at a time .
 This latest bed was from seed sown on May 1 this year and planted out  with the 12 plants that grew on the 24 July .

Thankfully I put a 12 inch long  seed row markers adjacent to each crown for when we returned on Sunday 21 August four weeks later after a brill hol , the whole garden was knee deep in  chard,grounsel and fat hen etc.
Those long markers which are cut from some old white guttering were/are a godsend .
 I've dressed the bed with a couple of hands ful of Growmore & scratched it in for a winter dressing as I don't have any six year old composted horse muck anymore. (I've used it all )
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS