Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can a ewe come into season if she is still 'bagged' up?  (Read 3487 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Can a ewe come into season if she is still 'bagged' up?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:37 am »
I am just at the point of weaning (hopefully this afternoon) and this morning I noticed that one ewe with twin boys had a flock of other ram lambs chasing her round showing signs of mating and going through the 'motions'.  The ewe is still a little bagged up and her two boys are still following her around (leaving her alone) - aside from the fact she cant go anywhere without being shafted every five minutes - could she conceive at this point?

Ta

Barry

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Can a ewe come into season if she is still 'bagged' up?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:14:08 pm »
She is unlikely to get in lamb if still has lambs suckling her....but its not impossible
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:02:51 pm »
If it will be an inconvience for her to be in lamb then she'll be in lamb :D. There is nothing hormonally to stop conception while lactation is occuring so the chances are that if she is a low ground breed she will be tupping, with upland breeds you be lucky!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »

If it will be an inconvience for her to be in lamb then she'll be in lamb :D.

Absolutely right.  If you've got ram lambs mounting her and not bothering anyone else, I'd give it odds on.

Last year we put our new tup lamb in with late-lambing hoggs, still with their lambs on them and suckling, thinking there'd be no risk of him finding work in there...  Now one girl is named Floosy and her this year's lambs Val 'n' Tyne ...

Oh, and Floosy is a Texel x out of a Hexham Blackface Mule - so half continental lowland, quarter hill breed, quarter Blue-faced Leicester.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »

Absolutely right.  If you've got ram lambs mounting her and not bothering anyone else, I'd give it odds on.

So would I.

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »
If they are chasing her and she is running away and not standing then she might just smell nice!  If she is standing then she is in season and then yes she could get in lamb.  Sucking a lamb or baby (!) only is a contraception while that infant is relying on milk alone, as soon as they are supplementing their diet with other food then the mother will begin cycling (if not before!).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS