Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Manure versus compost. Polytunnel versus outside veg beds  (Read 4438 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Manure versus compost. Polytunnel versus outside veg beds
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »
OK

We have a new polytunnel which we are preparaing beds for and we are also planning to convert some of our middle field to veg growing.

We have a pile of well rotted manure and access to alot more..... and lots of home made compost.

So what should go where?

I am thinknig - manure to the veg beds in the field and compost to the polytunnel beds.

I think my husband broadly agrees with this but any advice/wisdom would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Manure versus compost. Polytunnel versus outside veg beds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:28 pm »
I would mix both in the polytunnel and put the  pure manure outside, but dont manure where root veg is going to be grown, they grow funny! The virgin soil will be good enough for them this next time and then the time after row them in the 1 yr old manured beds. Does that make sense?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
Yes it does hermit.

We are going to have a go at root veg but they are reputed not to do well down this way.

The polytunnel is a bit of a problem as it is sited on a ramp of compacted clay so we have dug 18 inch trenches and then built up the beds about 12 inches. We have got soil to go in but I'm not sure whether to mix the compost and manure in with the soil or just put it on top and let the worms take it down.

Problem is - I doubt there will be many worms in the imported soil. I've got wormery worms but I am worried that the polytunnel soil won't really be the right habitat for them

Mmm dilemmas dilemmas  ??? ???
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »
Compost is perfect for the root crops which don't like manure - it gives them nutrients without too much of whatever makes them twist and turn with manure. It will also help to lighten the clay soil.  For me compost is almost more valuable than manure, maybe because I have loads of manure but not much compost.

I would be more specific with where you apply the manure.  Potatoes and brassicas are heavy croppers so need plenty of manure dug in, whereas crops such as lettuce don't need manure.  Root crops can follow after brassicas in your rotation so will get the leftover nutrients from previous years (after compost in the first year).  Peas and beans can use a little manure but don't need a heavy application.  Tomatoes, squashes and so on get plenty of manure but I dig it into a 50cm wide and deep hole just where they are going to grow.  If you apply manure across the whole bed you will encourage weeds in places where no veg are using the nutrients when you are growing plants such as these which are widely spaced.

There will be lots of worms in the manure and compost - tiger worms - and the lumbricids (the big earth worms) will come in once they sense all that manure and tilled soil.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
i fill my raised beds with 2/3 manure then 1/3 compost on top. i wouldnt grow roots in that tho. i use depleted beds for that to make them grow long.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
I've got wormery worms but I am worried that the polytunnel soil won't really be the right habitat for them.

It will most likely kill them - the worms in your wormery are probably not the same species as those you find in your soil, and will thrive in a different habitat.

If your manure has been around a while it will almost certainly have worms and eggs in it, and the population will soon grow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS