Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 down...  (Read 1934 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
2 down...
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:04:26 am »
 :( my broody duck was sitting on 10 eggs to hatch in a few days time. This morning I found an empty shell a few meters away from her nest. When I counted 2 eggs were gone. I suspect rats or crows. As she is sitting in such an awkward spot there is nothing I can do...I have the safe house ready for anything that hatches to move her into with but she would abandon the nest if I even tried to move her into it before. Just wanted to share as noone can help with it. I would have not let her sit outdoors as I don't want to lose her but OH decided that it was worth a go when I was away.  ::) I just hope she will be ok if something now has found her nest, she's my favourite...  :( :&>

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: 2 down...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
Good luck - we have had similar difficulties with one of our ducks who insists on sitting on her eggs in the flower bed - let us know how she goes.
kirsty

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
Wild birds often nest in the most risky spots, sad but I often wonder if they are the less intellegant ones that do that, a bit like people who do silly things!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:45 pm »
:( my broody duck was sitting on 10 eggs to hatch in a few days time. This morning I found an empty shell a few meters away from her nest. When I counted 2 eggs were gone. I suspect rats or crows. As she is sitting in such an awkward spot there is nothing I can do...I have the safe house ready for anything that hatches to move her into with but she would abandon the nest if I even tried to move her into it before. Just wanted to share as noone can help with it. I would have not let her sit outdoors as I don't want to lose her but OH decided that it was worth a go when I was away.  ::) I just hope she will be ok if something now has found her nest, she's my favourite...  :( :&>
Can't you get a dog cage and put it over her meantime?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:47 pm »
less intelligent I don't know - I think ducks are just le,ss domesticated...all of mine try it during most of the season!
I tried caging one like you said last year, Annie and she went ballistic and abandoned the nest.
She is sitting under the upturned lid of an old sandpit, which is rested against some glass and filled with water - she does not mind the others having a bath right above her - often very noisy! Awkward spot - if I change anything she will notice, so not stupid!:&>

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:24 am »
fingers crossed they are all ok  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:11 am »
removed 3 more broken and sickeningly stinking eggs this morning. Not much hope the others are alive now, cross all fingers. Have to change my clothes now as I can't get the smell out of my nose! Hope it will be over soon either way and she'll back with the others at night :&>

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
everythnig crossed you get something  :&> :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »
despair - she was down to 3 eggs  this morning and now she has given up - bang on time  ::). 2 of the 3 do look as if they would have made it with a few hours longer, stupid girl.... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS