Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can I mix sheep with geese?  (Read 4556 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
can I mix sheep with geese?
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:05:58 pm »
can I put geese into the same field as my sheep (portlands)?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: can I mix sheep with geese?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
I am not quite sure if they would get on, but you have to be careful that the hseep don't go and try and steal the pellets for the geese. From what I have seen with my sheep and chickens in the same field - a sheep will do ANYTHING to get to layers pellets... (including running through the electric fence...

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
I used to let my geese out with the sheep and walk them back down to there night enclosure for a feed and settle before bedtime, I also used to feed them in the enclosure in the morning before popping them back into the field.
TBH if there is plenty of grass you don't have to feed a goose, I used to only feed a handful to keep them used to moving and feeding from me so I could check them over easily and pop them away safe at night.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:28 pm »
Mine share perfectly happily but I second the issue with sheep eating layers pellets  ::) I have built a heavy, sheep (and goat!) proof feeder with vertical bars made of broom handle - allowing the poultry to feed but not th ruminants  ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:47:22 pm »
The other issue we have found (tho we do have sheep in with geese right now) is that the geese can sometimes get the habit of pulling wool out of a sheep (they seem to pick on certain sheep!) and you have to keep a close eye on that as we have had cases where they have done it so much in the same spot that they made a wound which they got flystruck.

It was particularly an issue with our lazy old ram as he would be a sitting target lying around all day, so we only keep the geese with the ewes now.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »
Doh didn't put this is the right place, my geese run all year with the sheep, but do agree with the food issue, sheep will do any thing for their food, we always feed ours in there pen during the winter, but the summer they live on grass so we don't have to worry about it then.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS